Is there a mini DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cable yet?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hi,
Is there an mini DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cable yet?
I want to connect my HD7950 to a UHD TV and get 4K @ 60hz @ 4:4:4: (I know I can't really game at that but desktop would be nice)

My HD7950 says it'll do:
DisplayPort 1.2
◾Maximum resolution: 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz per display
◾21.6 Gbps bandwidth (HBR2)
◾Quad HD/4K/UHDTV display support
◾1080p60 stereoscopic 3D (Frame Sequential Format)
HDMI® (With 4K, 3D, x.v.Color™ and Deep Color)
◾Maximum resolution: 4096x2160 @ 30 Hz
◾1080p30

I'd rather get 60hz from mDP 1.2 than only 30 from HDMI.

Solution

correct, you are not an expert on this.

his card has dp, which can output 4k @60hz. his tv has hdmi 2.0 which can accept 4k @ 60hz. BUT, currently passive (dumb/simple) adapters cannot handle the "handshake" between the devices allowing 4k @ 60hz to pass...
well, I'm no expert on this but...
only thing changing in HDMI 1.4 to 2.0 is hardware on both ends. Basically the cable itself stays same.(provided it is of good quality, there are bad cables that can't even do 4k@30hz out there)

That being said, your card doesn't really support said HDMI 2.0 output so even if your TV does and cable would support it... nope, not happening.

For the record, AMD cards have tailed a bit behind on implementing HDMI 2.0 output compared to NVIDIA

DVI and DisplayPort (and now outdated VGA) have always been the go-to PC-monitor cables. HDMI is not, and shouldn't be considered one. Manufacturers simply were forced to add HDMI functionality, due to the vast majority of people using them after adopting the 'HD TV' market.

The difference between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 is bandwidth. Build quality is up to the manufacturers, there are some pretty bad ones out there.

carlosriosness

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

correct, you are not an expert on this.

his card has dp, which can output 4k @60hz. his tv has hdmi 2.0 which can accept 4k @ 60hz. BUT, currently passive (dumb/simple) adapters cannot handle the "handshake" between the devices allowing 4k @ 60hz to pass. hence the need for an active (smart) adapter. which would shake hands with both devices allow 4k @ 60hz to pass.

i read some articles that AMD skipped on adding HDMI 2.0 on new cards like the 390x because they new these new adapters would be out soon. im sure saving them money on licensing the HDMI 2.0 technology and in manufacturing.

sadly the adapters have not been released, but 2 chip makers (Accell and Megachips) have released their active adapter chip, but i have yet to find a cable manufacturer that is using either chip yet in a cable.

in another thread a user said he is using this cable with his 980ti. i am not 100% convinced yet though. if you do buy it, you would also need a mini dp to female dp adapter as well ($8 on amazon for cablematters brand).
http://www.uptab.com/displayport-to-hdmi-4kat60hz-adapter-cable-gold-plated.html

p.s. not all hdmi cables are created equal. you NEED one the specifically says 18Gbps on the package (for 4k @ 60hz). otherwise most "high speed" labeled hdmi cables are really only 10Gbps. i bought an overpriced Monster cable rated at 27Gpbs just in case.

one last tip, the Chroma 4:4:4 4k 60hz depends on your TV. some UHD TV's support it, some dont. you could have a titan x, with monster cable, but if you tv doesnt support 4:4:4 4k @ 60hz then it just wont happen.

Solution

carlosriosness

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

http://club-3d.com/index.php/produc...layport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

they finally released their mini dp hdmi 2.0 adapter. just havent found a US reseller with it in stock yet.

Vladi2n

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

:bounce:
They just released new adapter with latest Parade chip PS176 which supports HDMI 2.0a with full chroma 4:4:4 :) They have Mini Display Port and DisplayPort with HDMI 2.0a

http://www.uptab.com/minidisplayport-thunderbolt-to-hdmi-4kat60hz-adapter-cable-gold-plated.html

carlosriosness

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

i wish people would stop linking uptab. the site just seems shady. all they do is relist the same products found on amazon but at nearly double the price. save your money, dont give it to crooks.
http://www.amazon.com/MINI-DP-HDMI2-0-60Hz-Specification/dp/B019ZQ5GX0