AMD Driver Performance Issues - Using latest Omega Windows 8 Driver solves issues BUT

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,

I am testing out windows 10 and encountered some performance issues with the in-built AMD driver and my R9 290. Generally just lower performance when compared to the latest omega beta on windows 8. I installed GTA V to test further and the game is unplayable with the current driver. The GPU usage frequently drops to 50% along with my frame rate. I knew it was the driver so I figured I would try the latest omega beta for windows 8 and see if it works. Well it did and performance issues were solved.

However the problem is that at some point the driver reverted itself back to the default windows 10 version and I'm not sure why or how.

I guess my question is should this happen? And how can I stop it happening?

To clarify: I want to use the latest windows 8 omega beta driver on windows 10 without it being reverted back to the default driver as the beta driver is far superior and otherwise works well.

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
OK so it's windows update that is applying the windows 10 15.20 driver... It obviously considers the windows 8 omega beta outdated. How can I stop windows update from replacing the driver without disabling update completely?

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
If you mean the driver I don't know how I would do that. I have the Omega beta windows 8 driver installed now but windows update isn't finding any update when I check for updates manually. It seems like it just takes it upon itself to replace the driver at some point when you reboot =/

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
I wouldn't have a clue was only an idea sorry. But yeah does sound like the it defaults back to the windows 10 drivers. I'm guessing you've tested rebooting with update disabled to be sure that it is update causing it?

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Just realised that the technical preview forces updates too lol. Can't disable it through normal means anyway. It's definitely windows update though as the amd driver update is in its history.

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Tried the fix from the first link. I've set update to not install device drivers and after a reboot it appears to have worked. Thank you. Will pick as solution for now and will update if the driver defaults at some point.

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
My driver just reset. Didn't even reboot. From what I can tell the fix only stops windows update from downloading new drivers. It will still install a driver if the file is already present in windows directory.

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
OK so I think I have cracked it. I'll list instructions here in case anyone else has the same issue.

1) Install whichever driver you want to use

2) Follow instructions described in answer here: http://superuser.com/questions/665158/can-i-prevent-a-driver-from-being-installed-with-windows-8-1

3) Follow instructions here (your looking for the name of the driver you want to delete such as: oem#.inf) :https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730875.aspx

Essentially the first fix stops windows update from downloading drivers and the second is to delete drivers it already has so it cannot install them.