Overlord Computers -- Gone out of business??

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Hello fellow gamers! I would like to ask if anyone had heard any official news regarding the demise of Overlord Computers? It is a company based out of Rancho Cordova, California. A few weeks ago, they took their website offline for supposed 'maintenance'. Now the domain appears to be gone altogether as well as their Facebook page. I'm guess the owner David Scribner (a.k.a. "Scribby") wants to keep this on the down low, but some folks are beginning to notice. Some have even stated that they ordered a monitor or sent one in for RMA, but have yet to hear back from Overlord Computer about the status of their product.

For those of you who don't know about Overlord Computers, they are the small business that developed and sold the Overlord Tempest monitor. It was the only monitor of its kind. A 27-inch 120Hz IPS WQHD gaming monitor. There were others that came close (Catsleap, QNIX - both used PLS panels), but none of them were ever able to use IPS panels. Tom's Hardware did an official review on the Overlord Tempest and it was impressive to say the least:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overlord-tempest-x270oc-monitor,3879.html

Overlord was supposed to be working on the next-generation monitor called the "Revenator", which was basically a G-Sync version of the Tempest, but it never materialized. A FreeSync version was also supposedly in the works as well. Now it looks like we will never see either monitor :(

Again, I would appreciate if anyone has heard of anything official with regards to their demise. Thanks!

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

I know, because that's my posting there. No official word on anything directly from David Scribner, owner of Overlord Computer.

Phuntasm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Funny, I just came from that forum post after searching for info on Overlord Computers. Their website and facebook page were down, so I googled for some more info and came across your post on the evga forum, Ninja.

No official word far as I can see. A pity though! I was hoping they could become a strong enough name to persuade other manufacturers to try to push the envelope on prices and performance in their monitors.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Thanks for the response Phuntasm. My nick on the EVGA forums is "Iluv2raceit" :) It seems there is very little informal information regarding the demise of David Scribner and Overlord Computer, and definitely no official notification at all. I am seeing more and more Overlord customers posting in the forums about how they have been left with loss because they had been waiting for an RMA, prepaid pre-ordered monitor, or that their existing Overlord monitor was having issues and now can't return it for a replacement or repair. I really feel for them - especially for those that are past the one year purchase date, in which they are no longer able to make a purchase claim on their debit or credit card.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I looked into this this morning. Evidently Scribby has a life threatening illness. His wife, through her power of attorney ended the business, to keep him away from it(she thought it wasn't helping his illness). As an owner of a Tempest and someone who looked forward to doing additional business with Overlord, I'm bummed.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I saw the post from Karen, a former tech support rep for Overlord post on the EVGA forums. I'm glad that she took the initiative to help close out the remaining RMAs (only 6 cases left according to her).

Ultimately, it's a very sad story. I just wish his wife would have handled the situation better than she did. In doing what she did in an emotional reaction may end up causing legal action to be taken against Overlord by both the customer and former employees who were fired on a moment's notice.

Regardless of what happens to Overlord as a business, I do hope David (Scribby) is able to fully recover from his illness. Our prayers are with him.