windows 10 upgrade is free for windows 7/8/8.1 users?do i need to keep my current key of win8.1 to activate windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
No you should keep your key if you decided you need to reinstall your old OS if something should happen ... but as long as you have a your os installed now and its real you wont have a issue getting 10 for free.

Avishek Kc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

will it be automatically downloaded and installed as an update or should it be downloaded manually and do a clean install using usb or dvd......

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I was told in my confirmation message from Microsoft, that they would be downloading the updates necessary for me to install the Windows 10 update, and they would let me know when it is ready to be installed on my laptop.

Avishek Kc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

so it will be automatically downloaded and when i m ready i could get it anytime i want......i dont need to burn that downloaded stuffs to usb or dvd and format my laptop???

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
As the other experts have advised, you should keep your windows product key for the program you have on your computer now.
As far as I know ,if you want to delay installing the program, you have to indicate such, when microsoft notifies you that the program is ready to install. i don't know what updates Microsoft is installing to prepare your computer for the upgrade, so I would advise you to type FAQ about Windows 10 upgrade in your search engine and hopefully your questions will be answered.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
As I don't know how to do it, you might want to make an ISO image of the program once it is installed, and burn it to a disc9i believe a DVD Disk)and keep it handy. you could also make a Backup copy of the program.

USAFRet

Titan
It will download the relevant files to your PC. You will have to tell it to actually do the upgrade.
When you (and it) are ready, click whatever button or link there is to tell it to do the upgrade.

NOTE: This download will almost certainly not happen directly on July 29. It will a staged deployment. Your particular PC may not see it for weeks (or longer).

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the windows 10 upgrade would be an Optional 'Update", and that you have to select it to be downloaded and installed. I also forgot to mention that everyone would not be getting the download on July 29. The "Insiders' get it first, then it will be 'doled' out in batches .

Status
Not open for further replies.