Console peasant looking for redemption. New build.

sandwichmancer

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Hey everyone.

It's been a while since I last build a pc on my own (almost 6 years, wow) and I'm kind of rusty, so it would be really nice if you could help me choose the right parts to fit into this new rig. It won't be a monster since my budget is kinda limited.

Here is what I put together so far:

cpu: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler
mobo: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
gpu: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB Nitro Video Card
storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
psu: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case

pcpartpicker link

I hope everything is compatible, if not, please correct me. Are there better options for the same 750$ budget? I kind of hesitate on the cpu, would a fx 8320 build (with a different mobo) be better?

This rig will be used mainly for gaming, anything from battlefield4 to fallout 4, preferably with good fps at 1080p (don't care about 4K). Also some light video editing, nothing fancy. No streaming. No overclocking planned.

Well that's it, thank you for reading this far and for your suggestions.

g-unit1111

Titan
That PSU is kind of on the cheap side, you should spend a bit more and go with a quality unit - either an EVGA G2 or a Seasonic G series, or XFX Pro. Keep in mind that the R9-380 is essentially a rebranded Radeon 7970 GHz edition with some extra VRAM and a slightly higher base clock.

Dropped the CPU cooler, you don't need it, the intel stock fan is fine.
Your selected motherboard was out of stock, AND it also may come with BIOS that won't run your CPU, but this h97 won't have that issue.
The 380 kind of breaks your budgets, and for 1080p you don't really need 4gbs, a 280 has 3gbs and is a better middle ground:
Also better PSU. (it's not always this cheap so pick it up soon or you'll be stuck with something lower quality) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($192.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $752.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 16:27 EDT-0400

logainofhades

Titan

The R9 380 = an R9 285/Tonga. AMD did not include Tahiti cards with its latest refresh. 4gb card isn't really necessary for 1080p either. Agree on the PSU not really being suitable for this. Don't agree that a gold rated PSU is needed, though. My build has more PSU than needed, but it was the least expensive, quality, modular unit.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $751.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 16:43 EDT-0400

sandwichmancer

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Things don't change apparently, I've never been good at picking decent psu's. Good thing I posted here before ordering anything.
As for the gpu, it's not a problem to downgrade to the r9 280 as long as I can play at decent settings (mid-high) for the next 2 years.

Like i said it's been a while, last time I build a pc the hd5850 was top notch. I feel old now...

By the way, nothing is set in stone and if nvidia has a better option, i'll gladly take it.

Unless he's gonna play a game that can use up the extra vram like Watchdogs or GTAV
He doesn't "need" a gold, but he doesn't need 750 watts either, and he can keep the case he wanted, the rosewill capstone is a great deal.
Other lower tier PSUs are available at that pricepoint, but for a few bucks extra.

g-unit1111

Titan

I wouldn't go with anything below a tier 2 personally. Even the Corsair CX series aren't worth the money at that price point.

And the rosewill capstone is a tier 2.

logainofhades

Titan
The EVGA B2 750w is a tier 2 unit, and is the least expensive, modular, and quality PSU right now. I don't see the point of spending more, on a lower wattage unit, unless you are really dead set on a tier one unit.

The rosewill capstone was cheaper than the EVGA b2.

sandwichmancer

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Once again, thank you all for your answers.

While the rosewill capstone looks like a pretty solid deal, I think i'm going to go with logainofthades's build. The 750w psu while a bit of an overkill for now will give me some room for future upgrades if need be. Who knows, I might be back here soon for more advice once i've sold those filthy consoles ^^

Have a nice day!

logainofhades

Titan

Maybe if you include MIR's. Remove them and they are not cheaper. You can even get the new GS 550w, for a bit less than a capstone. Capstones are nice units, but a bit pricey, compared to the competition.

When I posted it that day it was cheaper, no MIR. I turned those off on PcPP and I even checked the website it was being sold from.