Building new computer, need advise on what parts to use & win 7 reinstallation

Cedric27

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Greetings!
I want to build a pc for my grandfather. His current one is 6 years old, way too slow, ddr2 limited to 4gb on motherboard, etc. He downloads a lot, uses youtube a lot, word office and web browser multitasking all the time. He does not need a pc for gaming or photo/video editing. But we want the pc to last more than 2 years, kind of futureproof.

We already have the folowings:
-PC tower case
-GTX nvidia 650 ti
-His current HDD
-His current DVD burner
-His current monitor, speakers 5.1 surround sound, mouse & keyboard.

We have a budget of 800$ cnd ($630 us)
We need:
-intel CPU
-motherboard
-ram
-(New win 7 key?) *
-fans, power supply & whatever else is necessery.

* I want to use his current HDD. Will I have to reinstall windows? I think so, then can we use more than once the key he was provided with when he upgraded from vista to win 7 two years ago? Or do we have to buy it again? (Forget win 8 for him, we need win 7 or hell get lost!)

Many thanks!

logainofhades

Titan
Yes, you will need to reinstall windows. With that kind of budget, you can go quite far, due to how much you intend to reuse. This would be plenty for his needs. Included more storage, for his downloading. Another option would be go with a nice SSD, for main drive, and use the current HDD for storage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.95 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($121.08 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.86 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($91.56 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($110.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $740.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 17:15 EDT-0400