Need help setting up two monitors!

bobby2435

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Hi, so I recently built a new computer and bought two monitors(which only have DVI and VGA ports) hoping to set both of them up, but I can only hook one of them up. My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 960 which only has 1 DVI port 2 HDMI's and 2 Display ports, I also tried hooking my second monitor to my motherboard but that doesn't work, I also recently bought a Display port to DVI and tried setting that up but that still doesnt work? Anyhelp please(also sorry if this is in the wrong place, I am new to this forums)

For one monitor, use a DVI-DVI cable. The monitor probably came with one.

For the other, I'd suggest getting a DP-DVI or HDMI-DVI cable. Any computer store, online or physical, should be able to sell you one for a few dollars. Don't worry about brand or quality; it really doesn't matter.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
The problem he's probably having is that there are three DVI interfaces. DVI-A (analog), DVI-D (digital), and DVI-I (integrated, handling both analog and digital). The problem is that your monitor may only support analog signals (as in DVI-A or VGA).

The 960 has a single DVI output - which is probably the only analog output you have and that's why the one monitor works. The Displayport however is a digital-only format, as is HDMI. The adapter you might have bought, if it were a relatively inexpensive piece, was probably a Displayport to DVI-D, or Displayport to DVI-I. The problem is that your monitor could be incompatible with the DVI-D or DVI-I (as redirected by a passive cable as a digital-only signal) as those are pure digital signals. That's why you can go from a DVI-I on the card to either HDMI or VGA, but a DVI-D can ONLY go to displayport or HDMI.

What you would need is a little more expensive ACTIVE converter box to transform the digital signals into pure analog signals. You would then use the DVI card port for one monitor, and the active converter box to output to the second monitor.

Either that or get two inexpensive HDMI monitors. Then use DP -> HDMI cables. That's really what keeps me on my Radeon 6770. It has a DVI-I, VGA, and HDMI outputs which allows me to run two monitors of pretty much any configuration.

bobby2435

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

The monitors I have are Acer G246HL Abd 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor's

Those are still on sale, so there's no way they're DVI-A only.

Sorry to send you out buying stuff, but I don't have access to a 960 and my Google-fu is failing me. An HDMI to DVI cable should work.

Make certain that you've rebooted, are running current drivers, and have gone into the display manager and tried to enable any monitors first, though.

bobby2435

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

I've rebooted several times and have tried updating the drives, I've also tried looking in bios for multiple display/monitor but haven't found anything.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

You wont find dual monitor support in the bios. It's handled at the Windows OS level. If you have both displays enabled, and they're working probably, going into bios with dual displays will just mirror the displays.

After digging up the specs on your monitors, you have the 24" Acer displays, and they have a VGA (analog) input and a DVI (digital) input. That means, a HDMI / DVI cable should work to power one monitor, while the other DVI/VGA cable should work to power the second monitor.

Likewise, since they both have digital DVI inputs you SHOULD be able to go Displayport / DVI cables.

To enable dual displays, boot up Windows (I'm assuming Win7), get to your desktop. Right click on the desktop somewhere, this pulls up a menu, click 'screen resolution'. This pulls up your windows display control and sizing options.

If you have the two displays and it only shows one monitor in the box, click 'connect to projector' or hit the Win Key and P. Select 'extend display' - this will switch to multi-display mode. You can select a display independently, resize it to the proper sizing for your particular monitors native resolution, etc.

Hope this helps.

Digital isn't just digital.

DisplayPort can't always be passively adapted to DVI-D. Displayport uses a constant bitrate, packet based transmission. DVI-D (and HDMI) uses a bitrate that changes depending on resolution, colour depth, and refresh rate, and has one twisted pair cable per colour (or two in the case of DL).

DisplayPort ++ is needed to passively convert to DVI, and can also do VGA.

I'd be very surprised if you can't do DP++ on a 960, but it's possible.

bobby2435

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

I have tried doing the Screen Resolution but that doesn't work, and I've tried doing extend display and that still doesn't work. I'm planning on ordering a HDMI to DVI cable like what you said, since my DisplayPort to DVI doesn't work. I have also tried hooking my HDMI TV to my computer and that seems to work. I also have Windows 8.1.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Well, I know that passive DVI to HDMI -does- work, I use it on my computer build for my HTPC. I just use a basic cable I picked up at the local Walmart for $15.00 and it works perfectly. Bonus - it even transmits sound ( DVI-D output, HDMI input on TV).

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

I was as surprised as you. I didn't realize that they had wired the audio to the proper outputs, but after researching it a bit, the DVI-D spec (not DVI-A or DVI-I) does support audio pass-through. The ASRock Q1900M board has an HDMI, a DVI-D, and a VGA. So - DVI-D -> HDMI cable (I was missing a straight HDMI cable) worked fine, and passed through the audio perfectly.