windows boot up but no display and beep codes

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
i have an old gaming pc. when i restart, it works fine but sometimes i hear beep codes 1 long beep, and 3 short beeps (in american mega trends bios, means that Failure in video system: the video DAC, the monitor detection procedure or the video RAM has failed). After the beeps i hear the windows logon screen (that means that the windows is booted up). But the screen is black.
Specs:
asus maximus III formula
i7-860 not overclocked (intel stock fan)
asus GTX 480
6GB ram (2x 2GB 1600MHz and 2x 1GB 1333MHz)
toughpower 750w and soprano case.
pleeeeese help!!!

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I reseated the video card a couple of times and i placed it in an another pcie slot. but still the same.

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

yeah but theres many options, the video DAC, the monitor detection procedure or the video RAM has failed

well the only thing you can try is to reseat the card and check the connections like the previous poster suggested since something like bad video ram or a bad port that fails to detect the monitor will require you to send it away for repair

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

i tried to reseat the card and checked the connectors, but still the problem isn't solved, how can i repair it at home

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
but i can play new games without freezing or any problems (65 degree celcius GPU), but sometimes when i restart the pc i hear the beep codes and sometimes it works fine

there is no way to repair the actual card because only the company that makes the card has access to the chips and ports that are on a card and are specific for that card. you can always check to see if you have any warranty left on the card but considering you said its an old computer the chances are slim.

if you are saying it only happens sometimes then it does sound like the card may be starting to fail. one thing i would recommend you do isclean out all the dust inside the computer that may be causing it to overheat. you can do this by picking up a can of compressed air at your local electronics store

Hamda

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

no warranty,the chances to get no display and beep codes are like 20%. when i play games and the vga is hot and then restart the chances are 80%

skitszo

Honorable
You can have peace of mind that it is your video card going bad by verifying the Hard drive is fine with Hard disk Sentinel and running a "short self-test". then one by one mem testing your memory ram. Only other issue is your PSU. you can buy a cheap PSU tester on amazon for a couple bucks....