Display problem or graphics or both? Am I being cheated?

Akasheg

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Hi.

I don't know where to ask this. Actually my Sony laptop (e-series) started having problems with the display. Most part of the display won't show properly. Bad colors.

While starting the screen looks fine. But after a few seconds nearly the whole screen starts showing distorted colors.

So I gave my laptop for repairing at a local shop. What they told me was that my display screen is damaged along with the graphics controller which is integrated in the motherboard. They said that the damaged graphics controller damaged the display screen
Is it possible.

I read at a few places that if I connect the laptop to some other display and it works fine then there is no issue with the graphics controller and only the laptop screen is damaged.

I checked it. I connected my laptop with an external display and it was showing fine. But the people at the repair shop are saying that both the things are damaged. Is it possible?? Are they cheating me??

Is it possible that only the display is damaged and they are charging me extra for repairing the the graphics controller which is not damaged. Please help me. Tell me what is right.

Solution
If the display and external display do it at the same time, it's the graphics chip. IF ONLY the laptop screen does it and the external display NEVER does it, then it's laptop screen. The laptop screen in no way can effect an external display.

Now if the external display does it, even once, then it's the graphics chip. More than likely though it's not damaged, just over heating.
If the display and external display do it at the same time, it's the graphics chip. IF ONLY the laptop screen does it and the external display NEVER does it, then it's laptop screen. The laptop screen in no way can effect an external display.

Now if the external display does it, even once, then it's the graphics chip. More than likely though it's not damaged, just over heating.

Solution

Akasheg

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Yes only the laptop screen was showing problem. External was fine. So is this guy cheating me by saying this that even the graphics controller is damaged ??

And can the graphics controller damage the screen?? He told me that he tried to check out a new screen but the graphics controller is damaged so it damaged the new screen too. Is it possible?? What can I do now? To save myself from being cheated?

Ask them if the graphics controller is damaged then, and integrated into the motherboard, how do they plan on replacing it? Details. If that is the case, the only way would be to remove the old chip using a IR or Hot air rework station, and solder down a new one. Not a thing for the faint of heart. There is only a few people who even know what a rework machine is.

What is the exact model of your laptop?

Akasheg

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Hi thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Actually they said that he will solder it. He'll fix it and solder it. How am I supposed to know that if he is telling the truth or lying. I have no idea about the hardware stuff. But how they said that they will repair the controller and give it in one day sounded very fishy to me. What I'm supposed to do. I'm very confused and I guess I'll be cheated.

P.S. I dont remember the exact model number. I am very ignorant with these things. It's Sony vaio e series.