Trying from beginning to make a custom Desktop Build

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
Hello,

I am trying to make a custom desktop build as I have finally saved up about $1000-1,250. I've been waiting for awhile to save up some money so I can finally build my first custom desktop build.

So, since this will be my first time looking into desktop parts and what not (Before I was always looking at laptop stuff), I would like some assistance.

I have been looking at builds other people have made and I found some that I thought were decent, please let me know on what you all think about these two: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/JRHNnQ
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/NsWXsY

But, in order for anyone to be of some help to me, I need to let you all know what I want. I want a gaming desktop. The most resource demanding game I currently have are skyrim and borderlands 2, also I play a lot of LoL. I usually wait a few years until the price drops to about $5-$15 before I buy any games. So, I never play the latest and newest games, I am usually back a few generation in games.

In my opinion, the only part I am set on is Nvidia GTX 970 due to the performance per dollar. The rest, I really do not know much on. I am finding the other parts to be quite trivial, especially when it comes to performance per dollar. I also think for my purposes that 8gb of ddr3 RAM would be sufficient, does anyone else agree? And, I think a large (~1TB) HDD in addition to a 120gb SSD would be sufficient.

So, what I would like help on are picking the best parts for the best budget (Mine being about $1000). Also, I have never wired/built a desktop before, so if someone could kind of explain that process to me, I would appreciate it.

Then, I would like to know how and when to buy parts. I am great at finding deals on games, but finding deals on parts seems to be a more trivial thing. Is there a certain website that is great for price tracking/deal notifications? Personally, I use slickdeals for a general deal website, but, I am sure there are some for higher end desktop parts.

Also, any other advice would greatly be appreciated! Thank you all for your time and consideration!

B

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
This is all you really need. You could get an i5 4690k + Z97 mobo and cpu cooler and overclock if you really want to spend more, but it's not worth it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.37 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $822.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-07 19:43 EDT-0400

I agree with CTurbo, use the extra money for a good monitor:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gl2460hm

You can setup price alerts of PCPartPicker as well but they rarely get much better.
Games wise, Steam has sales every week.

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I also agree with you guys I would rather get the a nice monitor, and it seems for the games I am playing I do not need amazing parts. But, my next question is are the prices you have listed good prices? Should I wait until I find a price drop or what...Also, I probably won't have enough time to put anything together until Mid August. My goal is to finish the build by the end of August. So, should I wait for anything? Or do you think I should start buying parts as soon as possible?

Also, I have not researched enough processors and other parts (Besides graphics cards) too know how great they are. But, from looking at the price ranges, would the build above have any bottle necking? I've never dealt with it, so I don't know how much the performance in a part should differ in order to not have bottle necking

Thank you guys for your help!

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Yes those a great prices and those are "amazing" parts. I think you were vastly over estimating what you actually NEED to game. There are no bottlenecks there. There is also no need to wait.

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I'm probably going to have a dual monitor setup, I am still in school so on one monitor i'll have games and the other homework haha

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

I see, thanks. I am just new to desktop parts and haven't read enough about it, so I just wanted to make sure everything is okay.