audio setup help!!!

weeman8888

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Hi there as shown above i am looking for a home entertainment system for my room. i would like to have a set of speakers that can cover around 140 square feet in my room. so here it is i have a pc and my tv setup in the same room im just struggling to find the right set of speakers for me. i wanted either bookshelf or a more surround sound in my room i just cant decide properly and need some audio help.

thanks Lias

Solution
140sqft isnt much, thats only a 12x12 / 11x13. you could do perfectly fine with a surround system with satellite sized speakers or a pair of bookshelves. my theater/gaming room is 13x14 so is not much larger and i use some satellites myself.

you did not list a budget. as for home theater surround systems, the energy 5.1 take classic is a good entry level set you can pair up with a cheaper receiver unit (AVR). the monoprice 10565 is a knock off of that set which also is not bad. expect around $250-500 depending on choices

if that is out of budget, its possible to get some dayton b652's, pioneer bs22 or micca mb42 along with a cheaper amplifiefr to make a decent entry level 2.0 hifi set at a more modest cost of $70-150

its also...
140sqft isnt much, thats only a 12x12 / 11x13. you could do perfectly fine with a surround system with satellite sized speakers or a pair of bookshelves. my theater/gaming room is 13x14 so is not much larger and i use some satellites myself.

you did not list a budget. as for home theater surround systems, the energy 5.1 take classic is a good entry level set you can pair up with a cheaper receiver unit (AVR). the monoprice 10565 is a knock off of that set which also is not bad. expect around $250-500 depending on choices

if that is out of budget, its possible to get some dayton b652's, pioneer bs22 or micca mb42 along with a cheaper amplifiefr to make a decent entry level 2.0 hifi set at a more modest cost of $70-150

its also possible to use cheap speakers such as the 5.1 logitech z506 for $100 but they do not compare with hifi sets honestly.

you need to be a little more specific on your budget, location, needs, expectations, etc if you want a better answer.

Solution

weeman8888

Reputable
May 27, 2014

hey thanks for the response
i was looking to spend about 400 to 500 depending on if its really worth the cash. about the location i live in a small town in canada so going to a store to listen to speakers is hard as its a 4 or 5 hour drive. as for needs i want a good system that covers the room and maybe more. im thinking something that is not to large but has a good sound and that it has a built in amp(i dont really know if thats a good thing or not it just seems more convenient) and for expectations i want high build quality something that will last awhile and wont need to be replaced .

thanks again Lias

has a built in amplifier? while they do make speakers with built in amplifiers, generally they are for stereo setups not 5.1 surround. they do make home theater in a box (HTIB) units which have a box included with them for amplification however typically you are rather limited on inputs so i generally do NOT suggest this route as it typically ends up with lots of problems down the road for connecting up external sources (pc, consoles, etc) to it.

was that 500usd or 500cad? big difference in price (500cad is only 360~ usd). also are you needing to buy from a canadian supplier or can you say buy from amazon.com and have it shipped cross border? big difference in prices there too as the same product could be $120 USD on our side but $350 USD on your side.

for a 500 CAD budget ($360~ USD) , you could likely pick up a monoprice 10565 set (knock off of energy set) and a cheap receiver along with some speaker wire and have a fair setup. for a 500 USD budget you could pick up the energy 5.1 set and a slightly better receiver.

or, for that budget you could get yourself two nice bookshelf speakers and a small amplifier. i listed a few cheaper options in the previous post but you could get say two klipsch bookshelves with a low end but fair quality amp for about 500 CAD assuming shipping from the usa amazon site.

you have the choice of going with a full 5.1 set and smaller speakers to give you surround sound or some larger nicer speakers paired up with a small amp you can upgrade later. if your budget was 500 USD then you have more options.

weeman8888

Reputable
May 27, 2014

oh yea it would be 500 dollars Canadian but i can get stuff shipped to a close by border and pay duty for it. heres what i was thinking for the setup http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A5-plus-B-Powered-Speakers and what do you think is more worth it? a dac like this http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D1-24-Bit-DAC or a audio interface like http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2 and maybe later on i could get a bluetooth adapter like this one to hook up my speakers http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Wireless/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter.
lastly do you think that this dac/bluetooth adapter is too pricey?http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Wireless/D2-24-Bit-Wireless-DAC if so can you recommend me another brand that is cheaper!!
thanks