Cooler Master Elite 110 mITX budget build air flow questions

biensur

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I have been searching around for advice on the topic of air flow in the Cooler Master Elite 110 case for my budget mITX build
PCPartPicker List

I have read some other topics but they were focused on the specifics on third party CPU coolers, which I'm not using. Then I read some reviews which discussed cooling further.
Topic
Review
Review

I am not overclocking but I'd like to make sure there is enough air flow to keep my components cool and lasting as long as they can. The case manual recommended that I invert the PSU to use its intake fan to pull out hot air from the MB to the exterior, which sounds reasonable. I've also heard people write that it's better for the PSU to draw in cooler air from the outside (normal position). I'm not using the top bracket for HDs and I've removed it completely. The case itself does not have rear exhaust options so just the front and the sides. I couldn't decide what to do with the side fans so I made one intake and one exhaust, which somehow made sense at the time.

Here are my questions:
- will inverting the PSU and using it to cool the inside actually have a benefit?
- will inverting the PSU and using it to cool the inside lessen the lifespan of the PSU?
- any suggestions on the side fans? (dual intake, dual exhaust, one of each?)
- some have said using the front case fan for exhaust is smarter

My current setup:
120mm front fan (intake)
PSU inverted position
80mm side fan (intake)
80mm side fan (exhaust)

My idea:
120mm front fan (exhaust)
PSU normal position
80mm side fan (intake)
80mm side fan (intake)

My guess is that my PSU will work better using the air in the room for intake rather and the hotter air in the case, while the front fan will exhaust that hot air. The side fans will work to bring in air, giving the GPU fresh air to use for it's fan. Hopefully the two side fans will provide sufficient air intake volume.

zL7bNAH.jpg

BOJP646.jpg

rnwf1P1.jpg

yuaTNTE.jpg

That's an average quality PSU anyway so I wouldn't put any unnecessary pressure on it and I'd keep it in the normal position.

I would use both 80mm fans as intakes so they are blowing in the same direction as the GPU fan because they are so close.

That leaves you with a 120mm exhaust on the front.

Just realised that was your idea anyway, sounds good :)