suspiscious activity - oh the horror

Enkidu of Abydos

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
When I try to access tomshardware.com on my TV (has a built-in proprietary browser) I get the following message :
Unable to identify your browser
Due to recent suspicious activity from your computer we have blocked your access to tomshardware.com.

When I access on my computer this doesn't happen. Nor did it use to happen on my TV browser with this site until I registered.

Solution
I had the same issue when I was using a different web browser. I can't remember what exactly I did to cause it, but I think it had something to do with the privacy settings. I doubt you can fix it on the TV which probably doesn't even have settings for the web browser to change, but you can have a look. It was only an issue when I was logged in.
I had the same issue when I was using a different web browser. I can't remember what exactly I did to cause it, but I think it had something to do with the privacy settings. I doubt you can fix it on the TV which probably doesn't even have settings for the web browser to change, but you can have a look. It was only an issue when I was logged in.

Solution

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
I'm going to assume this was a warning generated by Distil? Distil is a system we use to minimize the amount of bot traffic we get, which has been a problem in the past. Unfortunately, it tends to detect new or obscure browsers as 'suspicious activity'. This actually happened with the new Windows 10 browser, Spartan/Edge/whatever, about a week ago. You can email Distil's support team and let them know about this issue, and they may be able to get that browser added to their lists.

If this ISN'T related to Distil, if you could please provide further details, that would be very helpful. It is curious that it only affects you both while logged in--will have to look into that.

I typically use Comodo's modified browsers, Comodo Dragon (Chromium-based) and Ice Dragon (Firefox-based) and I use ghostery and adblock Plus. I had the issues when I used a new version from Comodo called Chromodo (I don't know what changed from Dragon, if anything, I just felt like using it). I haven't been using it lately, just dragon and ice dragon, both of which work properly. If it helps, I was using Windows 10 at the time and I did notice the same issue with spartan. It would be an issue if I tried to post a comment or open a forum thread while logged in. Browsing Tom's while not logged in worked fine.

Enkidu of Abydos

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
1. Yes it was Distil.
2. I tried logging out on my laptop and it still won't work on the TV. The weird thing is it used to work before I registered (maybe it's just the passage of time, not the act of registering).
3. I'm experiencing various other mysterious bugs on my laptop (using Chrome 43) on this site :
-the icons to the right of "Reply to Tittillating" say Đ,Ž,m+,a with a wave above and such weird letters and symbols (EDIT : now it's normal again all of a sudden)
-the toolbar with bold, italic, insert images and other buttons doesn't appear when I answer any thread, only when I am starting a new one (EDIT : now in full edit it's here again)
-the quick edit and full edit sometimes don't work unless I reenter the thread anew (EDIT : had to do this again)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Those 'mysterious bugs' sound like possible caching issues, particularly that first one. Would suggest clearing your browser cache. The thing with the toolbar, that only appears when you go into the full posting page, not when submitting a quick reply (with the box at the bottom of the thread). Again, possible caching issue as I've never run into that.

Will look into all of those, but I'm not sure I'll be able to reproduce them.

It's not just new or obscure ones, it does it with even THE most used browser, Chrome, because it requires Java, and Chrome has been quirky with Java for some time now.

Well, at least I can only assume that, since a warning about Java comes up right after it gives you the suspicious activity error. At least it did for me.

I also run some ad blockers, but I refuse to disable them.

I just made a thread about the Java thing in this forum if you could please respond to it.

We do not, under any circumstances, require you to run Java. It's a programming language that's fairly insecure when used as part of a website.

JavaScript is included in every single browser still made, and is extremely closely linked to HTML.

The issue is usually that you've got some add-on that's decided that Distil is dangerous. Ghostery seems to be a common one - you can disable trackers individually in its settings.

I don't get the feeling you guys even know what you're talking about. Not only did the Java message pop up when it DID happen to me, it hasn't happened since I got Java working properly in Chrome and fully allowing it after temp disabling my blockers, which btw, none of which show Distil as an item to block.

Not only that, prior to my recent format I had Java installed as it is now (forgot how to to the allow part), and was running the same blockers, without ever getting the suspicious activity message or a message about Java popping up.

I'm tired of repeating myself on this. As far as I'm concerned the problem is solved for me.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
You're being rather argumentative and a little rude.

Once again, so that we don't have to repeat ourselves, we do not require Java to browse the site. It'd be rather problematic if we did, seeing as how we don't have a mobile app, meaning users would be using their mobile browsers to access the site--and Java is not supported by such mobile devices. Not to mention the fact that our company laptops do not come with Java, which would make it difficult for me to be an administrator on a site that required Java for as long as I have been.

If installing Java somehow helped you in your particular situation, great, but please don't try to pass it off as the be-all, end-all solution while insulting every moderator who tries to tell you otherwise.

"Argumentative"? I'm only explaining, several times over because staff keep arguing against my testimonial, my experiences with it. Your site, or something you're allowing on it, IS generating a Java error message sometimes when the suspicious activity message pops up. It's YOUR site that is erroneously bot monitoring, not anything on our end. So I suggest someone look into it or contact the web master about it, because if anything, you're making it sound like it shouldn't happen if in fact your site and other software you allow on it are not using Java.

One of your mods (Someone Somewhere), even had the gall to imply I'm wrong in my Tom's Java requirement thread by saying the only reason I'm not having any more problems is because I've disabled my ad blockers, which I in fact haven't. I still run them, as I already said. You aren't even paying attention to what I'm saying, then accusing ME of arguing, seriously?

Enough said, I am not the only one that has mentioned this rather odd Java message. I think we're done hear, please don't perpetuate this then accuse ME of being argumentative. It's no wonder such problems still exist, because when they're mentioned, staff get all defensive and accusatory, while ignoring what's being said. :sarcastic:

"Argumentative"? I'm only explaining, several times over because staff keep arguing against my testimonial, my experiences with it. Your site, or something you're allowing on it, IS generating a Java error message sometimes when the suspicious activity message pops up. It's YOUR site that is erroneously bot monitoring, not anything on our end. So I suggest someone look into it or contact the web master about it, because if anything, you're making it sound like it shouldn't happen if in fact your site and other software you allow on it are not using Java.
I'd like to see this message saying the viewer needs Java. I've seen several saying I need to be running JavaScript, but never Java. Screenshot?

One of your mods (Someone Somewhere), even had the gall to imply I'm wrong in my Tom's Java requirement thread by saying the only reason I'm not having any more problems is because I've disabled my ad blockers, which I in fact haven't. I still run them, as I already said. You aren't even paying attention to what I'm saying, then accusing ME of arguing, seriously?
Because you can never be wrong? You're accusing me I'm wrong.

I've read through quite a bit about Distil's systems. Never did I find a single mention of Java. We've had quite a few people have trouble with this, and 99% have turned out to be because of either a)NoScript, or b)Ghostery.

Distil will cache your credentials for a while, especially if you don't request many pages.

Enough said, I am not the only one that has mentioned this rather odd Java message. I think we're done hear, please don't perpetuate this then accuse ME of being argumentative. It's no wonder such problems still exist, because when they're mentioned, staff get all defensive and accusatory, while ignoring what's being said. :sarcastic:
Please point to these other people who needed to run Java.

randomizer

Champion
I'm almost certain that the suspicious activity page is actually hosted on a Distil domain, so even if there was a Java-related popup it would not be because of Tom's Hardware. If you see the suspicious activity page then you were already blocked prior to seeing the popup.

It looks like Distil may be disabled at the moment anyway. I don't see it in the list of trackers anymore and can't trigger it with Ghostery blocking everything even when opening many pages quickly. It's a pest so I'm happy for it to be gone, even if it's only temporary.