Can I setup Dual monitor with different ports?

Elgauly

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
Hello,

I'm going to buy a single gtx 970 graphics card that will control two monitors, for wide workspace.
Do I need to buy a graphics card that has port combination (ex: 3×dp, 2×hdmi) or I can use one hdmi and one display port?

Solution
You can use any type of port to dual monitors. The only limitation is what your monitor has.

FYI DVI and HDMI are directly swappable (same data protocol) so you can get a DVI-HDMI cable and it will work exactly the same.

DisplayPort is a little weird. Many GPUs and devices have the software/hardware to enable DisplayPort to output an HDMI or DVI signal, thus a DisplayPort to ___ cable is all you need. If it lacks the ability to convert the signal then a simple cable will not work and will require an active adapter.

Naturally if your monitor has the proper ports already then it is not an issue anyways.
You can use any type of port to dual monitors. The only limitation is what your monitor has.

FYI DVI and HDMI are directly swappable (same data protocol) so you can get a DVI-HDMI cable and it will work exactly the same.

DisplayPort is a little weird. Many GPUs and devices have the software/hardware to enable DisplayPort to output an HDMI or DVI signal, thus a DisplayPort to ___ cable is all you need. If it lacks the ability to convert the signal then a simple cable will not work and will require an active adapter.

Naturally if your monitor has the proper ports already then it is not an issue anyways.

Solution