Choppy Playback / Low FPS when playing DVD and Blu-ray disks on my computer

patar9958

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
I'm trying to watch DVDs and Blu-ray movies on my computer but I find that I get "choppy" playback. Not necessarily stop and start playback but when the computer pans from left to right, I can see the chopiness.

I am running a DELL XPS 3.4 GHz system with a nVIDIA GTX 660. I am using a 1080p screen also from DELL. I have my monitor connected with an HDMI cord.

How can I get smoother higher FPS playback from my computer? Help please...

P.S. I know and have overclocked my GPU in the past but I've stopped recently because I have no need to do so and would not like to strain my components.

Solution
Sounds like what you're experiencing is the result of something known as 3:2 pull down, because you (might) be using a 60 Hz display. If you can see stripes while the camera is panning, the source footage is interlaced, e.g 1080p = progressive, 1080i = interlaced. It could also be a mistake the camera op have made in that video, but the director decided it was good enough for the film.

A video would be great, to better describe your problem.
Sounds like what you're experiencing is the result of something known as 3:2 pull down, because you (might) be using a 60 Hz display. If you can see stripes while the camera is panning, the source footage is interlaced, e.g 1080p = progressive, 1080i = interlaced. It could also be a mistake the camera op have made in that video, but the director decided it was good enough for the film.

A video would be great, to better describe your problem.

Solution