Core i7 4790k idle and load temp confusion

Peter Ricciardi

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
I just built my first PC with a lightly auto-overclocked 4790k and a dark rock pro 3 in a phanteks enthoo evolve case. I'm getting idle temperatures that seem a little high compared to my old AMD 6 core on a hyper 212evo cooler. All temps higher than what other people report for my CPU. I'm just wondering what kind of temps should be normal for my setup?
3 programs that monitor temp list it as 32-33*c, 38*c max in cpuid for idle. Max hitting 53*C per core 50*c cpu for heavy tasks. Prime 95 hit 71*c after 20 seconds and stabilized.
My motherboard lists everything else in the PC below 35*c regardless of fan settings, The bundled fan control software keeps trying to turn everything down so that at idle temps jump 5-10*c.
Are these temps normal? I know there not that bad but I'd like to know if I should be expecting better for my setup. Also I'd like to overclock some more later.
thank you.

Peter Ricciardi

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Thanks, I know they look fine but I'm just not sure what other people are getting with their Dark Rock Pro 3's and if I should be expecting better--thus I did something wrong in installation.
I'm running the latest prime 95 blend test. Ambient is 21.5-22*c. I haven't gotten above 71*c yet so I guess I'm pretty good. BTW my temps are the highest core temps reported not CPU, Package, or other on-board sensors.
I'm going to double check my old PC, looking online 33*c seems really unrealistic for an old 45nm amd chip.

TRENDING THREADS