Building budget computer for school and games, Need some Opinions.

Eden Tosh

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
So I am trying to pick out and build my first PC for my birthday in about week, and I think I have the parts chosen out correctly, but I would like some more "experienced" opinions on it.

Also I have an really small budget as I am not very well off, so I only have a current budget of around $350-400, so some of the parts are used and/or bottlenecking the overall design, but I do plan to upgrade it in the coming months and during Christmas.

I also should point out that I'll mostly be using this for school work, i.e. E-mail, Microsoft Word, etc, and gaming. I don't really care about the quality of the graphics, as long as I get acceptable frames (30+ FPS), so I don't mind if some of these games don't run 60FPS 1080p Ultra-graphics.

Some of my library-
  • Arma 3, DayZ, TES 5: Skyrim, Payday 2, Sid Meier's Civilization 5, XCOM: Enemy Within, Total War: Shogun 2,
Some games that I want to be able to run-
  • GTA 5, Fallout 4, Cities: Skyline, Space Engineers, Kerbal Space Progam, etc.
So these are the current parts I've found and planning to get...
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4W823
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4W823/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($17.61 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1GB Superclocked Video Card ($114.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $375.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 20:33 EDT-0400

I have Amazon Prime and get free two-day shipping, so that is why everything is their prices.

I have most of the other components such as hard-drives, monitors, keyboard & mouse, etc. I also didn't know if I needed a sound card, as I was just going to use my headphones, or a WiFi or Networking Card, as I was going to use a cabled connection.

Any and all constructive criticism/advice is welcome, and very much appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: This is my first time using forums, so please bear with me if I do something wrong/incorrect, Thanks again.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

put this into https://pcpartpicker.com/ it will be much easier for us to read

Eden Tosh

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

I meant to change that to 4GB as I already have one stick of the same RAM. Also I do plan on upgrading some of the parts here, i.e. The CPU to an i5, once I have saved up more. It's only lacking in some of these areas, because my Laptop broke, and I'll need a computer by the end of the month, but I don't have enough to make a full-fledged gaming computer. This Computer will mostly be used for homework/Netflix until Christmas, when I'll have the money to upgrade and the time to play.

Eden Tosh

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

And I did base it off of this Build...
http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-400-dollar-gaming-pc-build
... which says "...able to run games such as Skyrim on the highest graphic settings..." and "You’ll be able to run games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto V, The Elder Scrolls Online and Dying Light with this build. One thing you shouldn’t expect is being able to run all games on ultra settings with 60 FPS, that comes with upgrading down the road..." So I based the choices off of the author's testimony and word. If he's wrong, Please tell me.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

my only suggestion is to increase the memory, 2 GB is barely enough for windows. trust me, spend another 20 bucks and go with 4 GB, you won't regret it.

Eden Tosh

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
[/quotemsg]
my only suggestion is to increase the memory, 2 GB is barely enough for windows. trust me, spend another 20 bucks and go with 4 GB, you won't regret it.[/quotemsg]

I will.
Also the motherboard says it doesn't have front usb ports, is there anything such as a usb card that I can get so the front usb ports work, or a different motherboard that is the same price?

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

my only suggestion is to increase the memory, 2 GB is barely enough for windows. trust me, spend another 20 bucks and go with 4 GB, you won't regret it.[/quotemsg]

I will.
Also the motherboard says it doesn't have front usb ports, is there anything such as a usb card that I can get so the front usb ports work, or a different motherboard that is the same price?[/quotemsg]

yes there are PCI USB cards that you can buy, also according to the manual the MoBo does have 2 connectors for front panel USB, and if you look at pictures of the mobo on the internet you can see the 2 USB ports at the bottom, next to the SATA ports

Eden Tosh

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

I will.
Also the motherboard says it doesn't have front usb ports, is there anything such as a usb card that I can get so the front usb ports work, or a different motherboard that is the same price?[/quotemsg]

yes there are PCI USB cards that you can buy, also according to the manual the MoBo does have 2 connectors for front panel USB, and if you look at pictures of the mobo on the internet you can see the 2 USB ports at the bottom, next to the SATA ports[/quotemsg]

Totally missed those, thanks. And the other parts look decent?

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

yes there are PCI USB cards that you can buy, also according to the manual the MoBo does have 2 connectors for front panel USB, and if you look at pictures of the mobo on the internet you can see the 2 USB ports at the bottom, next to the SATA ports[/quotemsg]

Totally missed those, thanks. And the other parts look decent? [/quotemsg]

yup, all good