Linux Mint Partitions

ShoeIace

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hello, i recently installed linux mint on a 32GB ssd. Also on this computer, i have a 1TB hard drive with windows 8.1. I partitioned half of the 1TB hard drive as free space. When i go to install something, it will only let me install in on the 32GB ssd. is there i way i can install applications such as games on this free space partition to use with linux?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
If they are stand alone software you could create a link to the launcher. Otherwise I don't believe that you can without jumping through a lot of hoops like creating shortcuts to every file it is dependent on which I'd certainly not want to do. If space is your issue you could just keep the data file on your big drive and create a hyperlink to it.

McHenryB

Admirable
Are you talking about Linux applications? If so, create an ext4 (or filesystem of your choice) in the free space. Then mount this on /usr/local and install applications to /usr/local. (I'm not familiar with Mint but any Linux distro lets you install applications to whatever directory you want - it just takes a little more work to configure the more user-friendly distributions this way.)