My new dvd rom wont open to let me install windows (bios issue i think)

Kandogames

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I just build my first pc and ive never installed windows before, my dvd rom lights up but wont open. my bios notices that there is both a hardrive and a dvd rom in the pc and it even tells me to put the disk in and push any key or somthing like that but my rom wont open, ive tried prioritizing both the hardrive and the rom in the bios and that doesnt do much good, im kinda stumped right now

i put this under MOB because im pretty sure its a bios issue cas idk what im doing

my motherboard

M5A99X EVO R2.0
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/specifications/

dvd rom

samsun 18x dvd rom 48x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151279

every thing els is doing good but the MOB does show one error (Boot device)

im gonna look that up in the manual while i wait for more help

Edit: i also want to make note of a cpu fan error at startup, i know why this happens, its because i have my water pump on a 3 to 4pin molex adapter and my radiator fan in in system fan 1 but this doesnt matter right?

Kandogames

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

i have a sata going from the motherboard to the dvd rom and then another cable going from the dvd rom to the PSU and i just double checked to make sure they where plugged in good, is there a 3rd cable im missing? there is a 3rd port on the dvd rom

Nope you only need 2 the data and power connectors

Disable the fan monitoring info in the BIOS. If youre using a radiator

Use a needle or something thin put it in the little hole on the bottom of the dvd. See if it opens

Thats what it's for

Kandogames

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

thanks for helping me narrow down the problem, i just unpluged the dvd rom power and plugged it back in and it works like a charm

Sweet ! If youre using a molex adapter, they've got a habit of cutting off power to whatever they're connected to.

They come loose. So if you're using one, it may pay to buy a PSU with SATA power adapters on it. At least it'll be firm

And less chance of whatever it's connected to die on you