Did Plugging in HDMI kill my graphics card?

johnjrossi3

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Hello community. I've had a couple of rough days, but tonight I am extremely bummed out, and I hope this site can help me.
I have a GIGABYTE 78LMT-S2 motherboard, which had a Radeon 6450 graphics card in it. I wanted to upgrade the card, so I bought a Radeon R9 270x.
I found my PSU wasn't enough power, because when I tried to run a game, my PC would suddenly power off completely.
I purchased a Corsair CX750M to solve this issue and it was a success! The game looked great and ran smoothly.
A friend told me to try HDMI cable instead of the VGA I was using, so I went out and bought one.
When I plugged it into my GPU, I got no signal. I tried the different HDMI slots in my TV and nothing. I can hear my PC boot up, and all the fans are spinning, but no signal to the monitor.
So I try to plug my old VGA cord back in, and to my surprise, I did not get a signal for that. (I had one before I plugged in HDMI)
I removed my new graphics card, and put the old one back in, rebooted the PC, and there is a signal to the monitor.

So...
Could I have fried my brand new graphics card, by simply plugging in a HDMI cable?

I cant see how plugging in a HDMI cable could cause damage. Just checking, you have the video cables plugged into the GPU and not any sockets the motherboard may have?

Is there any chance the gpu got knocked and is not seating properly in the motherboard socket, try reseating it. Also double check the power cables going to the GPU.

johnjrossi3

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I can't see that, either.. but it looks that way.
I tried to re-seat the card a couple times.
There is no video output on my mobo, so yes, its plugged into the card itself.
The 2 wires that power the card have green lights, and the fans spin.

In fact, I tried a different card (my old one) and it worked fine.
When I installed my new card again, I get no signal with HDMI or VGA.

Its very odd, and it was an expensive card.
I feel like I should have stayed on VGA. trying for HDMI was asking too much.