Large display needed: expensive monitor or budget HDTV?

Eric Joh

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Hi all, I currently have 2 x 23.6 inch ASUS monitors I bought for little over $100 each, but I need something bigger for creating models and diagrams for engineering work. I see a lot of 27-32 inch monitors that cost as much as $800. After doing some digging, many have stated that its mostly due to the high response needed for video gaming. If this isn't a concern (because the diagrams I'm producing aren't undergoing rapid change), is there any reason for me not to go with just a Insignia 32 inch 1080p television for $180? What sort of things other than response time needs consideration? Many of the diagrams need to be at 'publication' standards.

update: Anyone have an option that would display highly detailed images and text with good colors, but isn't awesome with refresh times (since its not needed)?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-32-class-31-1-2-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/6230244.p?id=1219198829508&skuId=6230244

Solution
Monitors are calibrated for a PC signal and will always display better as compared to a HDTV which is calibrated for displaying HD video. The text and detailed images you view on a HDTV will never be as sharp as a monitor. You may be able to get a good picture on the HDTV, especially if the HDTV has a "PC Mode" - but it won't be as good as a true computer monitor.l
Monitors are calibrated for a PC signal and will always display better as compared to a HDTV which is calibrated for displaying HD video. The text and detailed images you view on a HDTV will never be as sharp as a monitor. You may be able to get a good picture on the HDTV, especially if the HDTV has a "PC Mode" - but it won't be as good as a true computer monitor.l

Solution