Which monitor is best? (Response times)

shredder457

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a new monitor for my PC because my current older 17 incher is a bit small, and the resolution is a bit out of date. I've decided to go for a 21.5 inch monitor due to the nice size and resolution, and have discovered two that I need to decide between. As I'm 16 years old I'm a bit tight for cash so both of these monitors cost about £90-£100, and they are:
ASUS VS229NA
Acer V226HQLAbd
Both of these are VA panels because I want a higher picture quality than many TN panels at this price can offer, but I also want to be able to play some games on the one that I choose. I regularly play Planetside 2 but that's really the only first person shooter that I play frequently, other than this I play things like cities skylines (single player games). So, the ASUS is advertised as having a 5ms grey to grey response time but 18ms is written next to its name on nearly every sellers website that I visit, although on these websites there's no mention of 18ms in the product description or on ASUS' website, which is confusing me. Does this mean anything? Also, the Acer has a 8ms GtG response time, which do you think will be the better monitor for playing games?
Any feedback is appreciated so thanks in advance guys :)

Also, my current monitor is a Sony SDM-S74 (17 inch, 16ms TN panel) and I can't notice anything wrong with it at all, the colours look great and I can't see any ghosting, though I'm not sure if the 16ms is GtG or black to black or whatever else.