Problem with Dual Monitor setup

JamieT

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Hi men (and women, maybe)

I just purchased a small 19 inch 720p monitor just as a small extra screen for using when playing games. I am attempting to set up dual screens but ran into a problem. It will only use one monitor at a time. e.g, when I plug the small monitor into VGA on the motherboard, it will only work if the graphics card is physically not powered on. If the Video card (attached with DVI), is powered on, then the computer will attempt to only send signal from the video card, not picking up the VGA signal.
I'm asking if you guys know how to force it to pick up both at the same time!!

Specs:

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-B75MD3H
GPU - Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB OC
CPU - Intel i5 3330

Cheers,
Jamie

Solution
When you install a PCI or PCI-Express graphics card, the on-board GPU (the motherboard's VGA port) is automatically disabled otherwise there would be a resource conflict between two devices which perform the same task.

Obviously that means they won't both work at the same time, unless the motherboard's BIOS has a setting to enable using both (only late model motherboards support this feature, and only on specific models).

If BIOS doesn't allow it, to overcome the problem you need to feed both monitors from the Radeon card if it supports two monitors (which it does). Of course that may mean having to buy a cable with the required connectors at each end which will allow you to physically connect the second monitor.

It's a regular...
When you install a PCI or PCI-Express graphics card, the on-board GPU (the motherboard's VGA port) is automatically disabled otherwise there would be a resource conflict between two devices which perform the same task.

Obviously that means they won't both work at the same time, unless the motherboard's BIOS has a setting to enable using both (only late model motherboards support this feature, and only on specific models).

If BIOS doesn't allow it, to overcome the problem you need to feed both monitors from the Radeon card if it supports two monitors (which it does). Of course that may mean having to buy a cable with the required connectors at each end which will allow you to physically connect the second monitor.

It's a regular pitfall for many who try to run a second monitor from the motherboard VGA port because that's the only cable they've got which will physically fit. (either that or they don't even realise their PCIe graphics card supports more than one monitor)

Solution