asus pg278q Or a 4k monitor?

Greatwulf

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Hi guys,

First I just wanna give a big thank you to the community here, you guys have helped me so much in the past :)

Im looking at upgrading my monitor to go with my new system and I'm a bit unsure on what to buy as there are so many out there! I want the best graphical experience as I can (obv!) but I'm unsure whether to go with the ROG swift which has a lower resolution but faster refresh rate or a 4k panel as I've heard 4k displays are beautiful. I usually play Star Wars TOR but also play stuff like the witcher 3 etc and the current modern games. If 4k would be best, can you guys recommend a good monitor? I have a budget of £1000 or less for a decent one. Please see my system specs below;

I7 4790k
Maximus Vii hero
Corsair air 540 case
GTX 980 ti gigabyte G1

Think those are the most important specs, can provide more if needed. Would I need to sli to get a good 4k experience with that setup?

Many thanks

Dan

Solution
ROG SWIFT is the best gaming monitor for now.. i have one. I love it. I play metro, bioshock infinate, and cant wait for fallout 4. 120mhz ultrA low motion blur feature is AWSOME... Gsync is good also but you have alot of gpu power and wint need it. GREAT TN panel and extremely fast and smooth gameplay. 4k isnt there yet....

corndog1836

Distinguished
ROG SWIFT is the best gaming monitor for now.. i have one. I love it. I play metro, bioshock infinate, and cant wait for fallout 4. 120mhz ultrA low motion blur feature is AWSOME... Gsync is good also but you have alot of gpu power and wint need it. GREAT TN panel and extremely fast and smooth gameplay. 4k isnt there yet....

Solution

Greatwulf

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Fantastic I'll have a look at that monitor! I do like the idea of having smoother gameplay :) do you think the 980 ti will be able to handle 2 1440p (including the swift) monitors? :)

corndog1836

Distinguished
I would most likely go sli in your situation to keep frame rates high. Remember its 2 1440p monitors. Frames will probably be playable(in the 50's) on demanding titles with one 980ti and 2 1440p monitors. To really take advantage of all that a 1440p x2 monitor has to offer i would go sli 980ti