Buying 4K TV in 2015 : What to look for?

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hi, I have a question that's been bothering me for a couple of months now. I have done some research already but I don't really know what to look for when It comes to displays other than a high refresh rate and high enough resolutions. So I have come to my favorite community for help.

I am looking for a 4K display at around 38-43 inches for my bedroom setup. The TV will be around 8 feet from my face at most times and I am planning on using it for mostly PS4 content and the new 4K Netflix streaming (if my internet connection can handle it).

I already know what your saying; "The PS4 can't output games in 4K! Only a powerhouse PC can do anything in 4K right now!" and " At 8 feet and 40 inches you wont see the difference between 4K and 1080p anyway". I already know all of this but still... I just got a new job and would love to treat myself to something nice as well as future proof my tech, as I plan to hold onto this TV for at least 5 years.

I am also considering getting an extremely high end 1080p 40 inch diplay just with some new 2015 features like High Dynamic Range and Local Backighting for improved contrast, but I know that 1080p is quickly on its way out.

So my question is, should I buy High end 1080p or Low end 4K in 2015? Will there be a difference between the two and what would you do in my scenario. If you suggest 4K for me what brand and model would you go with? Any and all answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you for you responses! :)

Other thoughts:
I plan on Buying on Black Friday or early December 2015
I also should mention I own a gaming PC that I plan to take to collage with me that may be 4k ready soon.
I will be going to college in 2016 and am hoping that this will be my dorm room display
Looking at the difference between 4k and 1080p online is not impressing me, but I have yet to see true 4k in person.
I don't want to spend more than 800 dollars when I do buy this TV
I want a TV from a brand I can trust.
I don't care at all about Smart TV or 3D functionality whatsoever. (I don't know anyone that does)

This is the one I'm looking at now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5R8F40/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1USBW267LAYYW&coliid=I1PWDJR7X0ZZ9L&psc=1

Thanks to Zerk2012 Im now torn between the one above and this one now too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T63YUTE/ref=twister_B00W4YBO1Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
I really want to get two 4K monitors for my setup, but I'm waiting until next year so there will be more options. Plus, they'll get cheaper over time.
The anticpation is killing me!

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Thank you, Zerk2012! I saw that it was only a 6.8 out of 10, but I read the review and most of the negatives were things I don't care about and the positives were all the things I need (Light, good contrast/colors, great upscaler/ tweakable settings).
May I just ask you your opinion weather you would buy this or wait for the better 4K models to come out mid 2016? Thank you again for getting back to me so quickly!

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
I am now looking at this one: Sharp LC-43UB30U 43-Inch 4K Ultra HD 60Hz Smart LED TV
Which has bad input lag for gaming, but is from a good brand.

And this one : VIZIO M43-C1 43-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED HDTV
Which has a higher refresh rate and no problems with input lag. But often is not reliable based on brand and customer reviews.

Any advise, knowledge, or expirience you can share would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Thanks for the response Mankar! I will also be waiting until December this year or early next. Seems to be the smart thing to do! I'm three month away and already giddy with excitement.