Used Apple Thunderbolt Display vs Alternative 1440 27 inch Monitors

Velsheda

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
I recently bought the Asus MX27AQ for use with my macbook pro retina, but I'm not that impressed with it for a $500 monitor. While I know the Thunderbolt Display is a bit older now and doesn't compete on specs, Apple to Apple always seems to be better as their items are designed to integrate with each other very well. Do you think I'd be happier with the picture quality from macbook pro retina output to Apple Thunderbolt? I can likely pickup a used Thunderbolt for a bit more than the Asus. Unfortunately, I can't do a side by side comparison. Thoughts?

XMorsX

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
The MX series is old, overpriced and use PWM dimming. Apple displays do not have matte coating so they look more clear and vibrant, but they use edge-to-edge glass that is extremely reflective.

Where do you live and what is your budget?

Velsheda

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

XMorsX

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Actually you are right, it is a modern new monitor, it is fairly similar to Dell U2715H. It is a good monitor but it uses a frame-less casing which has an inner black bezel which ruins the perceived black depth. Example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97364704@N08/14701865911/

It does not have a heavy AG coating though, so it is a bit odd that you do not like the image quality. Have connect it with HDMI? If so, have you corrected the sRGB color space?

Velsheda

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

I have it connected via DisplayPort to a Retina Macbook Pro. Maybe it's because I'm comparing it to a retina screen? I don't have any windows behind me so I don't think the glossy Thunderbolt screen would be an issue. It's really more of whether I'd like it better, is it sharper, does it integrated better with the macbook, and can I get it at a reasonable price.

Velsheda

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
So I went back to Apple to look at the monitor more. As a side note, the 5k iMac is ridiculous.

Regarding the Thunderbolt. Yes, Apple is on the expensive side, but it's usually because of the quality and features. At the $1000 price point, I didn't realize it includes a charger for your laptop ($80 value), displayport docking station integrated in it ($200 value), webcam and speakers, and a really nice, high quality case and construction. So I kinda see where the $1000 price comes in, especially a few years ago.

Velsheda

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Quick update for anyone that is in a similar situation and reads this. I bought a used Thunderbolt (~$650) and will be using it side by side with the Asus for a few days to make a final decision. So far, I can see why the Thunderbolt retails at $1k. The build quality and look are far better than any other. Throw in the fact you get a docking station, a laptop charger, webcam, microphone, it makes more sense. It automatically calibrates perfectly, which is a huge bonus. When they first came out back in 2011/2012, I bet they were a steal at $1000. Now, the only reason I'd hesitate to buy one new is because there may be a new model coming out. Otherwise, I can still see why it commands a premium price. Unless something happens, I'll likely be keeping the Apple.

monitordilemma

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Can you please provide a brief update to whether MX27AQ was close in performance to the Thunderbolt display? I have been looking for a good monitor for a couple of months but couldn't find a perfect one. Unfortunately my MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) can't run 4K @ 60Hz otherwise it would have been a quick decision. So I am only looking for 2560x1440 monitors. The MX27AQ has a very good price, and I also saw Dell U2715H, but it's old, and the newer U2717D which is over my budget of around $600 and I might have to pay for more than $100 shipping expenses if I couldn't find it in my country.

TRENDING THREADS