Asus Gtx 980 Gold Edition Overclock Question/Help

KozmoKavanaugh

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
My first post here! I always find answers here but not many people have my graphics card so I am trying to see if I am doing this right. I looked up several articles on how to overclock and have the general idea on how to do it. I was using Asus's program GPU Tweak / Monitor but I prefer EVGA's Precision X. (My settings on Asus software was not being saved for some reason).

I own the Asus GTX 980 20th Anniversary Gold Edition card, and it was labeled the "fastest 980 on the market" so according to GPU-Z it has 1317 GPU Clock / 1753 memory / 1431 boost... I then use Precision X to make it 1447 GPU Clock / 2003 Memory / 1561 Boost... My temps in game (FFXIV using DX11 / WoW) arent really going up either when I overclock, I max out around 57 celcius gaming which is good. I just want to make sure I am not pushing it too far up so I wont kill my GPU. Also for some reason my power target only goes up to 106% which I have seen everywhere else that its supposed to go up to 125%, any reason why I can not? Heres a picture of what I have done. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9659czdp6oz4z8/gtx980%20OC%20temp%20etc.png?dl=0

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Your GPU temps won't change much in games because it's not being used at full load. If you want to test worst-case then I suggest using either Valley or Heaven. Let it either run for a few minutes, or hit the benchmark button, while overclocking. If you aren't overheating or seeing artifacting, then the OC is most likely good.

koverplan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

I there,
I have the Asus 980 TI Gold version and I was able achive a max stable core clock of 1560mhz on heaven benchmark.
However with this overclock I only gain 5fps!
I am using msi afterburner 4.2.0 and my OC settings are: +100 core voltage / 108 power limit / +57 core clock / +500 memory clock / 76 constant fan speed.
I am also thinking there is room for more OC because it never went above 53ºC.
In my case raising core or memmory clock above this values results in a sort of automatic gpu reset, as the benchmark crashes and fans will suddenly reset to idle speed.

koverplan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

I there,
Mine is Asus gtx 980 ti gold edition. Only produces a little bit of coil whining here and there, I can only hear it when the fans are ideling and in a completely silent room.
I first purshased the gtx 980 ti Matrix Platinium but had to rma because of very noticeble coil whining.
If the price gap between the two cards was above 100 gbp (147usd or 131eur) I would stick to the Matrix.
Its funny that Asus removed from their official web site the line saying the Gtx 980 ti gold edition was buzz and coil whining free, seconds after I had purchased it !!! :-/

Regarding overclock I only get more 5fps so I dont really use it! Temperature in maxed out 1440p general gaming is hitting 65ºC.

So in case you are playing 1080p my advice is to stick to the Asus Strix!

koverplan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

My Asus gtx 980 ti gold edition is hitting 53 ºC max temperature with gpu full load on heaven ultra 1440p Benchmark with 1560mhz OC (stock coolers)

I guess your assumption about heaven benchmark being heavy these days, is not quite right cause during some games I am hitting 65ºC.

TRENDING THREADS