First Build ever, please critique

Mezatino

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
As the title states this is my first PC build ever. I have been reading up on a lot of the tech and building guides, however I know that I am not a tech savvy person, yet. So please give me any tips, opinions, and critiques that you possibly can.

cpu Intel Core i5-4690k
mobo MSI Z97A Gaming 7
ram Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866
gpu EVGA GeForce GTX 960 FTW ACX2.0+ 4GB
psu Corsair CX750 750w SLI/CrossFire ready PURCHASED
hdd Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s PURCHASED
cooler NZXT Kraken X61 280mm
case NZXT Phantom ATX Full Tower
monitor Hisense 32H3E 32" 720p HDTV (1366 x 768 resolution) PURCHASED
os Windows 7 or Windows 10 (if it pans out to be decent)

My main uses are going to be for high end gaming and 3D modeling. Most of it will be bought piecemeal over the next few months, so money isn't really a problem however I have no intentions are going over $300 a part unless really needed. Also I already know that NZXT cases tend to be hard to fit case fans on so if I do go with it I'll only be using NZXT fans certified for my case.

On the subject of the Graphics Card I have an offer on a cheap GTX 770 Ti (may be a 750 Ti, cant recall right now) that works and has only been used in a test run so far. I may go with it since the GTX 960 is only a temporary card until taxes at which point I plan on buying a GTX 980 Ti. So if anything on this build needs to be changed or reconsidered to accommodate the a very high end card later. I would really like to know now.

As of this point the Power Supply and Hard Drive are already purchased and in my possession. I also have two normal PC monitor's in storage if for any reason my HDTV is just an exceptionally bad choice.

Mezatino

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I already do a lot of vector artwork and during that I tend to watch shows online while browsing a huge art library. So I figured more ram couldn't hurt. Also read about how even ram of the same type and brand (when not bought as a packaged deal) cant always be trusted to work together nicely so its also about future proofing.

ael00

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I work in graphic design as well. With a lot of cross-work between illustrator and PS (I run adobe CC), I have no problem running smoothly on 8gb ram.

What I DO suggest is large scratch disks. Currently I work on a 220gb SSD and it does tend to get full when working on outdoor banners and meshes, even on low DPI values. I definately recommend an SSD for design related work.

If you are worried about your RAM I'd get a 2x8gb set, and upgrade later if needed with another 2x8 of the same type. But my guess is when that will be needed you will probably want to get ddr4 sets, down the line.

Mezatino

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I'm seeing quite a few reads and not many posts. Not to be rude or ungrateful, but does this mean that my build seems to be a very good choice? If so then I'd be fine closing this discussion and moving on, however if not this is a lot of money to be spending for no one to tell me I've made a bad choice.

I'd be very grateful to anyone else who would like to give any tips or useful information.

The One0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Horrible monitor..Resolution is very small and the brand seems so...cheap.
At least an 1680x1050 if not 1920x1080..At gaming full HD is the best.

Mezatino

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015

Honestly I am only going with that monitor because it's the TV I already use in my PS4 and the Witcher 3 looks amazing on it already. I will eventually get a better monitor or TV, but talk about resolution just confuses the crap out of me every time. What is the BEST resolution for gaming do you think? And do you perhaps have a specific monitor in mind that would just be dumb not to get?