[Solved] AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition with Liquid Cooler and still at 70celcius

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hello,

This is my first post here so please ask me to inform you of any other info that you might need.

I have my Phenom II X6 1100T for around 3-4 years now.

The stock cooler used to always make noise and I knew that before buying it.
As long as I can remember, it would always opperate at over 60c according to all CPU temperature programs like CPU Temp. My mistake was that I never changed the thermal paste so this might be a problem too.
Recently I bought a Cooler Master Seidon 120V in order to prepare for the hot Summer.
I thought that the temperatures would drop but no, it still opperates at ~67 and 70~80c when playing games and that really has some impact on the FPS as I have FPS drops every second, even on my also new Nvidia GTX 960.

I would like to hear your ideas on what could be the problem causing it to opperate at so high temperatures and if it really is that what's causing almost every new and old game to have FPS drops.

My build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (never overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V
RAM: Kingstone something 8GB
Graphics card: GTX 960/GTX 550 Ti(for PhysX, tried putting it away to solve the drops, didn't work)
PSU: Corsair 600CX 80+

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I've found the problem, it seems I was too rushy to install my Seidon so much that I forgot to pull out the protective membrane before driving it onto the CPU. Weird that I hadn't removed even though I always doublecheck things. So I pulled it off, cleaned the CPU surface and reinstalled properly.

This was what caused the CPU to reach such high temps, and that was also the problem with game stuttering, actually, AMD Cool N Quiet kept the CPU from overheating by underclocking it.

So, problem(self mistake) solved! At least I've learned a few things.