Car subwoofer rattling

Kane1414

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
I have a Kicker S15L7. It is a 1000 W RWS and a 2000 W Peak. Just to see if it worked I hooked it up to my car. I have a 250 W amp. I plan to get a bigger one but I don't have the money yet. When I hooked it up the sub would make this rattling noise and it wouldn't bump very loud. I didn't expect it to but it didn't like at all. I was just wondering, would it be my amp not being high enough to push it or would it be a problem with the sub?

Solution
Not sure, but the woofer should have specs somewhere for the required amp rating.

Either that or the subwoofer is broken.

The power demand seems very massive for the subwoofer so it wouldn't surpise me if the issue was lack of power though this is not my area of expertise.

(It's difficult to say because the 250W amp rating is likely the TOTAL output power it can provide and the 2000W peak is obvious. However what the MINIMUM power input and amount the amp can supply to the subwoofer are unknown.)
Not sure, but the woofer should have specs somewhere for the required amp rating.

Either that or the subwoofer is broken.

The power demand seems very massive for the subwoofer so it wouldn't surpise me if the issue was lack of power though this is not my area of expertise.

(It's difficult to say because the 250W amp rating is likely the TOTAL output power it can provide and the 2000W peak is obvious. However what the MINIMUM power input and amount the amp can supply to the subwoofer are unknown.)

Solution
If the woofer is rattling at low to moderate volume and you are sure it's not comming from the car, then it's likely blown. If the speaker is 1000w rms, the fact it's not hitting so hard may be due to the fact the amp is so small in comparision to the size of the woofer. You will likely get better sound from a smaller woofer with that amp.

steve1985

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
if its rattling the coils are shot. that sub is blown. and not even worth reconing. take the sub out. and look under the spider see if you can see frayed or black burnt coils. they chould be a nice copper look polished.

low wattage is never bad.
you can hit 150+ dbs with 10 15's rated at 2000 max pushing 500 watts to each of them.