Recommendations for 1080p/60fps gaming build. Last build was 8 years ago. Halp!

DCBarrett

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hey all,

I haven't built a new gaming rig for quite some time. What I'm looking to build is a non-aesthetic, pure power house type system. I'm not into anything that *looks* cool, I want it to perform. :)

I'm currently running:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual-Core @ 2.8 ghz
4 gigs DDR2 ram
AMD Radeon HD 4870 1 gig graphics card.
500 gig HDD @ 7200 RPM
19" Westinghouse 1280x1024 monitor.

As you can see, my system is quite ancient, and I've been out of the loop when it comes to hardware the past 7-8 years. Lately I've been on this site and other retailers and it seems like a lot of stuff has lights and fancy plates and other doohickeys that to me seem to make the hardware more expensive because it looks fancy. I just want solid performance for the price. At least for the CPU I'm looking at the Intel i5 4690K...from there I'm not quite sure where to start with the rest.

Again, I'm looking to put together an entirely new build, no frills, just straight up performance. My budget is around 800-1200$ US. If someone could steer me in the right direction, I'd be eternally grateful! Thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How much do you want to play? You are looking at one of the best overclocking cpus for gaming. No OC? Mild or even aggressive? It kinda makes a difference. Some components are simply not worth buying depending on that choice. Also there is other things like OS, new monitor, wireless etc.

The parts can be found, a build made, but knowing exactly what you will need totally can change the pricing considerably.

DCBarrett

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I actually probably won't be over-clocking, so if there is a cheaper alternative than the 4690k that doesn't have OC abilities, I'd probably go for that.

I'm basically wanting to have 60fps at 1080p for when Fallout 4 comes out. I've been playing modded Skyrim for years, and GTA V and The Witcher 3 are looking like something I'd pick up.

I'll be running Win 7, maybe eventually Win 10 for DX12 if its worth it.

I'm into games that allow modding, so I'm assuming I'll need a hefty video card with more ram than standard.

I'm going to be getting a new monitor, but nothing crazy. 1080p is more than acceptable to me, at 60hz.

And by wireless do you mean like mouse and keyboard? Probably not, I'll actually be using the ones I have currently as they are more than sufficient.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, like I said 1080p/60fps is pretty much my goal. I don't need something that'll run anything you throw at it at 200fps. I really haven't been gaming that much because my system can't run games that well, haha.