Possible to have my (potential) build components checked out?

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Hi everyone-

I am in the process of getting my act together and hopefully building a new desktop machine. I guess you could refer to it as a Performance Build, I hope to have a nice machine for years and years and also use it for a new (home-based) business venture. However I would very much love some fresh eyes and expert opinions on this - could I get a once-over the specs and components? I am just hoping to confirm things like, everything is compatible? Did I do a ok job or do I have some absolute no-nos etc. Did I use the right pieces or did I want a SATA instead of a PCI or I wanted PCI or PCI Express and went a different way etc? Thank you very much!

CPU -- AMD FX 9590 4.7GHz Black Edition AM3+ (comes w/ a water cooling unit) right now on sale $259.99

Graphics Card -- Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 380 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $219.99

Motherboard -- GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 $ 149.99

Case -- Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case $59.99

RAM -- HyperX Fury Red Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model HX318C10FR/4 $25.99 x 4 = $104 (16GB)

Hard Drive Storage -- ADATA Premier Pro SP310 ASP310S3-64GM-C mSATA 64GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $34.99 + Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" $49.95 = $85

Power Supply -- Rosewill SilentNight-500 - 500-Watt Fanless Active PFC Power Supply - Continuous @ 122 Degrees F (50C), 80 PLUS Platinum, ATX 12V v2.31 & EPS 12V v2.92 - $89.99

Extra Cooling Fan -- APEVIA CF4SL-UBL-LED 80mm Blue LED Case Fan - $6.49

WiFi Adapter -- SYBA SY-PEX23063 Dual Function Bluetooth 2.1 and WiFi Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n PCI-E x1 Controller Card PCI Express Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates - $19.99

Keyboard -- Logitech K100 104-Key PS/2 Wired Classic Spill Resistant Keyboard 920-003199 $10.89

Mouse -- Perixx PERIMICE-201U B, Wired USB Mouse - 3 Button - 800dpi Optical Resolution - Illuminated Wheel - 5 Ft Cable - Black $6.99

Display -- Dell D2015H Black 20" VA Panel Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor - $103.99

OS -- Windows, ~ $120

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I'm guessing these are from Newegg? Everything looks okay to me.

The HAF 912 is a great case, it's been around for a long time, but you could probably get something more 'updated' (as in, USB 3.0 front panel) for the same price.

You didn't specify what exactly you'll need this system for, but it's worth noting the monitor you chose is a VA panel. Depending on what you want to do with it, an IPS -may- be a better option.

Your PSU is fine. I'd be more at peace though if you get slightly higher wattage. 500w these days is a bit so-so. My suggestion:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

A bit cheaper than the Rosewill. Don't pay attention too much to 80 PLUS certifications, their benefits are a bit mediocre if not negligible.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Yes they were all from Newegg, now don't take it as if I have to use Newegg, I just used it as a base of comparison and of course they were always pretty good to me in the past so I figured it would be At The Very Least a good place to start.

Thank you very very much by the way that was just what I was hoping for, I am going to make those changes right now and see if I can't fine tune my list. The only thing I wanted to say was, as far as the Monitor, I am sure the IPS is better but, I noticed that almost everything else was at least double in price. That was by far the most reasonable 1920x1080 HD display with very good ratings. If you have a specific suggestion I would be for sure interested (Not that I am trying to make you do so much work here, again thank you very much!)

If anyone else has a comment please let me know!

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Are there any specific brands you prefer? This one looks promising.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025098&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Also, I just want to clarify my earlier statement: 80 PLUS certifications are important, they're one step of deciding whether PSUs offer good efficiency. What I meant was Bronze, Silver, and Gold certifications have negligible differences in power efficiency.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

I can definitely be a brand whore but for something like the monitor (especially when I am desperately trying to save money because I went a little nuts in many other areas of the build) I am happy to go with whatever is a good deal, I am going to update my specs to the monitor you suggested because it does indeed look like a much better buy.

Can I get your take on this case I just pulled up? It does look a little bit over the top with the cool-dude-gamer-rig design but in some small small way I kind of like it. I am just wondering if it works for me and such with everything else?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156303

And one more time please let me thank you for all your help, I know you are spending your own valuable time looking and researching and I very much appreciate it. Thank you.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Looks good to me. I'm not personally a fan of Raidmax, but IMO, cases are subjective and you should get whichever catches your eye the most. Of course, after making sure the insides suit your needs first. :p

Anyway, this looks good. The consumer reviews seem to only gripe about having a hard time installing their closed-loop water coolers, which shouldn't affect you. Speaking of, I don't see a CPU cooler in your list.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Maybe that is a concern because the CPU comes with a water cooler. I haven't personally ever used one but it's included with the particular processor I was going to get, so I figured good, it will be even cooler and plus fans I'll be golden.

I am thinking I will need to rethink the case then if it is going to make it difficult?
EDIT-

I found another Cooler Master, this has one USB 3.0 and 2 2.0, think that's enough or is only one USB 3.0 a problem? I m pretty sure my last 2 laptops were pretty much like that, one 3.0 and 2 2.0 .

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I just wanted to give an update here and see if there was any feedback - I got to order my system components earlier tonight but it's basically an entire new design than above, I went 180 and went Intel and wound up going (in my humblest opinion) more premium, high-end than I had imagined but I tried to get the best, best value for dollar and quality-to-price ratio in each component and hopefully I'll have a 5-year-minimum system that winds up giving me 10 years of (great, yeoman's) service with some relatively minor upgrades, updates, and maybe even a lil sumin sumin under the OverClocking sheets ;p

Without further delay,

CPU -- Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core (really wanted to go AMD and FX9590 but just couldn't justify it .... I learned a long time ago, painfully and costly, Bet With Your HEAD, Not With Your HEART)

CPU Cooler -- Cooler Master Seidon 240M High-performance AIO/Closed Loop (really liked the Raijintek Triton but it was more expensive and horror stories abound. Then it went on sale yesterday and the plot thickened..... but I am nearly certain the CM S240M will COOL much better, perhaps just not LOOK better, but one leak and the Raijintek ruins my rig etc.)

Thermal Compound -- ARCTIC Cooling MX-4 (Heard great things and quite reasonably priced versus the other premium and superpremium thermal compounds ... I was liking Gelid Extreme but it's 45% more money for 25% less volume... then I found out my choice of MoBo actually ships with Gelid Extreme... then I found out the previous-and-successor versions of my MoBo ship with it, but not my exact version lolwut.)

Motherboard -- ASRock Z97 OC Formula --- If I had been able to purchase my rig components during the last calendar week-to-14-days-prior I would probably have some version of ASUS, either an ASUS Z97-E/USB 3.1, then the ASUS Z97-A, then the ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer, but they all went off rebate and sale and came back with a small promo code, which was a much less attractive enticement to purchase. Subsequently, ASRock and Gigabyte went on much bigger sales and rebates on Friday, which led me to this premium-tier ASRock OC Formula. And it's got a conformal coating -- Waterproof snitches!!!!!!

RAM -- G. Skill SNIPER DDR3-2133 16GB, 2x8 .... Not the absolute highest performance ever, but still super hi-performance and very hi quality from a top company with hi-def overclocking ability.

HDDs -- Kingston HyperX Savage 120GB SSD -- Actually had a Corsair with lesser specs in my cart that got out of stock earlier in the week, leading me to choose this one ... but instead of $50, it was going to be $75... until I woke up today finding it on sale for $64 ! Nice!

-- Western Digital "Caviar Blue" 1TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s Sata III HDD -- real nice piece of storage here.

GPU -- MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G -- not the biggest ,baddest video card ever or on the market, but certainly more than I'll need and a really awesome addition to my build, in my humble opinion. Twin Frozr, 5 LED light-up modes, 3 pre-set clock/speed modes plus OC, it's a great piece of Graphics technology that I'm psyched to have.

CASE -- AZZA Nova "CSAZ-8000W" I am taking a chance here, it's a relatively newer company without the status and rep of Cooler Master or NZXT but it's a feature-laden case packed with good specs and good looks, and it was a killer deal w/ big rebate. The CM Storm Stryker was over double (when you take into account the rebate) and NZXT have beautiful , beautiful looks but no rebates, no windows, and no purpose-built solutions for 240mm+ coolers. So hopefully the people raving about theirs will be right!

[POWER SUPPLY -- EVGA SuperNova P2 80+ PLATINUM 650W ... top notch quality, top notch efficiency and plenty of power to spare (and for upgrades etc.)

WIFI TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 -- gets great reviews across many websites with a ridiculous price-to-quality ratio ... and 3 cool antennas.

Monitor -- HP Pavillion 22bw (also known as 22xi) .... 21.5" LED 1920x1080 full Hi Def, IPS , great reviews, $130 ... enough said. I need to actually try out gaming before I worry about 2K gaming, let alone 4K gaming etc,

And as far as Operating System -- I've ordered the full version of Windows 10 on a USB drive, so I should be able to perform a clean install of 64-bit Windows 10 Home on my SSD and go from there.

Thats about it short of a basic Logitech keyboard and mouse and perhaps speakers ... How did I do?? Thanks!!