Computer Build Suggestions/Recommendations

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
I am trying to choose parts for a PC build (which I have never done myself before) and want to make sure I am not (1) buying anything incompatible and (2) not wasting (too much) money; there is probably a (3) (4) and (5), etc. which I am not thinking of.

I want this PC to last for awhile. The one I have is currently about to hit 7 years and is pretty good for multitasking on the internet, but is pretty crummy with newer games - a new graphics card would help a lot probably, but with DDR2 and USB 2 along with only HDD, I am just going for completely new.

I want high-end, but without going to the things that you basically spend twice as much for marginal gains in performance.

What I am looking at now:
- CPU: Intel i7 5820K (or 5930K but for nearly $200 more, there doesn't seem to be much difference)
- Motherboard: I am not entirely sure on this one - I just know it needs to support the above CPU, USB 3.1 and DDR4. I am still trying to figure out what makes some motherboards $250 and others $450. I currently have an MSI which has worked well. The only other two brands I've seen are ASUS (heard of) and ASRock (haven't heard of at all).
- GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti - I was originally going to do 980 but this just recently came out and seems much better for 4K (which I plan on 4K monitor).
- Memory/RAM: DDR4 a must. When I got my last one, DDR3 was just coming out and I regret it for not getting that then as it has made it harder to keep my current PC better, longer. I wasn't expecting to have my current PC this long, but now I am going to plan for that with the next one, and am therefore trying to get things that will maximize its "prime life". Looking at 16 GB - 8 GB x2 preferably, but it seems to be much more expensive (and also fewer options) than just 4 GB x4 for same performance, so I may just go with that
- SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB. Performance seems to be greater than the 850 Evo but is it worth the extra $$$?
- Power supply: Probably 1000W 80+ Platinum for energy efficiency (and maybe less heat???). I doubt I'll need that much power, but again it's there to keep future possibilities open.
- Samsung 4K monitor: current monitor is 1920x1200 and I don't plan on going *down* to a 1080p which seems to basically be the only alternative.

I'm pretty much have an idea for the CPU, GPU and SSD (brands for GPU maybe, otherwise down to two) unless anyone has a compelling argument for something else. For RAM, it seems to be pretty much based on brand and price/performance. Motherboard I'm kind of lost, although my options are slightly limited (yay?) because I want USB 3.1 - so really open to suggestions here. Thanks in advance.

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
CPU) Difference between the 5820k & 5930k is mainly the PCI lanes. Running 2 GPU's on a 5820k will mean they run at x16/x8 speed (which doesn't even matter, PCIE 3 is fast enough imo).

Motherboard) This board is at a great price point for all the features & overclocking. Spending more on a board is pointless without specific needs.

GPU) If you plan on using a 4K monitor, you might want to consider an AMD Fury X instead. It tends to do better at higher resolutions. The 980 ti only wins at 1440p and below (more or less).

RAM) The x99 chipset runs quad-channel memory, so 4 sticks will be easier to get and faster.

SSD) The difference between the Pro and Evo doesn't justify the price. If I'm not mistaken, the Pro price premium is for server reliability. Now if you want best-of-the-best, then you'll want to consider a Samsung SM951 M.2 drive. Max size is 512GB, but they are faster than anything else at the moment. I'd recommend just getting something like a 500GB 850 Evo, unless you need more space.

PSU) If you go 5820k & Fury X, you'll need less than 500W technically (I'd go with something like a quality 600W though).

Monitor) While a 4K screen like this wouldn't be terrible, if you're gaming I would suggest a 1440p 144hz over 4K.

Here's a build assuming you'll be overclocking, but not SLI/Crossfire. Would have to pick up a higher watt PSU if you were doing 2 GPU's, different mobo for 3 GPU's. If you need a case, I'd recommend the Thermaltake Core v21, has great cooling capabilities.

I added a 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor into that build, if you're interested in something like that.

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

Any recommendation for brands or does it really matter (mainly for Mobo/RAM and GPU)?

That's particularly the reason why I avoided 1440p monitors since they are more expensive than 4K. Specifically I've been looking at http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-Inch-Definition-Monitor-U28D590D/dp/B00IEZGWI2/

I don't plan on doing more than 1 GPU for the moment.

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
That specific monitor is so expensive because it has G-sync. If you want some sort of free-sync/G-sync, the cheaper option is Free-sync (AMD), as it doesn't require a module like G-sync. If you don't care about either you can get a 1080p 144hz at $200, or a 1440p 144hz (does support Free-sync) at $489. But if you want a 4K screen I won't judge.

If you want motherboard brands, the ones I prefer are AsRock and Asus specifically, but I'd buy any decent AsRock/Asus/MSI/Gigabyte mobo. I just prefer those brands because they actually tell you how many power phases they have (important for overclocking), unlike the other brands.

For RAM, it's near all the same. Good brands I trust are Corsair, Crucial, G.Skill, Mushkin, and Kingston (also branded as HyperX).

GPU's are an annoying topic, because some always defend one brand for no valid reason. My personal opinion, considering the current market, is that AMD is the winner anywhere below ~$480 (changes based on Country & sales though). $480 = Current price of the GTX 980, which is where I consider Nvidia worth going over AMD, at the moment. That said, if you're going 4K then the Fury X is better.

Slightly changed the build because you seem to be set on 4K http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FJNGFT The Fury X will do better at 4K. Here's a 4K screen that supports Free-Sync as well, but I don't know where to buy it http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-monitor-lu28e590dsza