Honda CR-V or Ford Escape?

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
? 2013 Honda CR-V LX AWD SUV and 19K miles

? 2013 Ford Escape SEL FWD and 24K miles

This would be easier if they weren't so different. I see advantages in both. Would face mixed highway & city driving every day, leaning toward city. Everyone still wants a car that would be comfortable on long trips. I like the ride and roominess of the Honda, but I appreciate the power and speed of the Ford.

There's probably some third choice that's better, but it would surely be in the next tier of vehicle. I know I saw a Toyota Venza I thought was hot.

It could come down to this: Which one does better in snow?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Solution
The CR-V was named 2015 Motor Trend SUV of the year as well as 2015 Best car for the money.

Honestly, I don't like Honda OR Ford, but the winner is clear.

I've driven the Escape and honestly I wouldn't get one. The new Fords seem to have 2 types of vehicle. High-end, and low-end. The Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Escape being low-end, the Taurus and Explorer being high-end. I drive new cars everyday as part of my work and I'm not impressed with Ford's "low-end" models.

The Toyota RAV4 is in the same class I believe. Its reliability is great but the safety results aren't.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
The CR-V was named 2015 Motor Trend SUV of the year as well as 2015 Best car for the money.

Honestly, I don't like Honda OR Ford, but the winner is clear.

I've driven the Escape and honestly I wouldn't get one. The new Fords seem to have 2 types of vehicle. High-end, and low-end. The Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Escape being low-end, the Taurus and Explorer being high-end. I drive new cars everyday as part of my work and I'm not impressed with Ford's "low-end" models.

The Toyota RAV4 is in the same class I believe. Its reliability is great but the safety results aren't.

Solution

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

I'm guessing you went with the Forester? I was quite surprised with how peppy they are. Not to mention Subaru's outstanding safety record.

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Yes, a Forester. We're learning to be very gentle on the gas from a stand-still, as it likes to jump. It doesn't struggle with acceleration like a Ford Escape, nor is it as lazy as the Honda CR-V. The audio system is almost alien. The head rest needs to back off. Overall, we feel it provides more for the money than most other vehicles in its class.

But it's the safety ratings that really did it for us.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Yep. First time I got into one I scared myself. It definitely response to your foot on the pedal.
A lot of people don't like CVT but I find them to be more desirable over a regular geared automatic.