Monitor goes to sleep after windows 10 log on

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I have found many forum posts with a somewhat similar issue - yet none of their solutions have worked for me.

**System:**

i5 3750k CPU @4.6 ghz 1.365vcore

Asus z77 Saberthooth MOBO

16gb Corsair DDR3 2133mhz RAM

Nvidia 980ti GPU

Asus Xonar STX Sound Card

250gb Samsung 840 SSD - OS drive

500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD

1tb Western Digital Caviar Black HDD

2tb Western Digital BLACK HDD

Corsair RM1000 PSU (before you judge, I had a multi AMD crossfire GPU setup and needed the juice!)

Corsair H100i GTX all in one cooler

NZXT Noctis 450 case

Dell 34" u3415w Ultrawide monitor

**Basic problem:** when I try to load into Windows 10 in "normal mode" the screen goes blank and the monitor goes to sleep. Both my mouse and my keyboard also "go to sleep" - the keyboard's back lighting goes off and the mouse sensor goes dark.

When I boot the monitor does come on and the Bios screen and Windows logo with rotating loading circle come up.

**What I have tried already:**

If I boot into safe mode it loads into the desktop no problem.

If I take out my GPU and hook up the monitor to the integrated GPU on the mobo it will load (on either output - display port or hdmi).

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers in safe mode to no avail.

I have tried a different GPU (AMD 280x) and the same problem occurs.

I have tried to "repair" windows but it doesn't work.

I reinstalled Windows 10 RTM and it worked! for about 15 to 20 minutes then the monitor kicked off and the problem would still occur.

**Background**
About a month ago I had issues with my Asus sound card. It was on the top PCI-E 1x slot, but was on top of the 980ti and taking in a lot of heat. It was there because I had a dual 280x crossfire set up, but now that I'm back down to one GPU I figured it would be better to put it on the bottom PCI-E slot. After I moved the card, the sound out of the card stopped working. After days of troubleshooting I decided to RMA. I got it back from Asus and the issues persisted. I figured maybe it was Windows screwing things up, so I updated my Windows 10 to the RTM version (I hadn't signed up for the insider program just yet).

After a Windows 10 update froze at 32% the GPU problems began again (oops, forgot some history - the problem began a few weeks ago, and after taking the GPU out and booting up with the iGPU I plugged my AMD cards back in and they worked. Never figured out what was wrong but it was working again so I didn't bother asking anymore questions). I took the GPU out, used the iGPU to update to the RTM version and bam! the sound card worked!!!! .... but when I plugged the 980 ti back in it's still not booting.

I'm out of town for today, but when I get home tomorrow I'm going to try to see if I take out the sound card if things will work as I'm beginning to suspect the motherboard.

I'm thinking it may be a Windows problem or a motherboard problem.

Before you go through all that, try doing a clean driver install as outlined in the clean drivers section at the following link. Run the DDU in windows with the GPU cards out of the machine, then after the removal in safe mode completes, reboot using the integrated graphics, install the latest Nvidia drivers, shut down and install your cards. Then restart. It may work, it may not. If there are other hardware issues it's impossible to say whether the result will be successful or not. But, it costs you nothing to try.

You may actually want to run the DDU twice. Once to remove the Nvidia drivers, by selecting the Nvidia option during the DDU uninstall, and once more to remove the AMD drivers from the crossfire setup. Then reinstall the Nivida drivers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2492424/laymans-simple-guide-solving-graphics-card-issues.html

Aladdad

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
i've heard some people with the GTX 980 Ti having issues with Widnows 10, actually right now it preventing people with 980 ti's to upgrade i don't know whats the issue, might want to g back to your old windows untill this is fixed.
win10-wont-run-100598103-large.png