Connected to internet, but only some pages will load, large files and programs all fail to connect

DonGrillo

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I have this very weird issue where I am connected to internet, but some of the features doesn't work. I am using Windows 7 samsung laptop connected wireless. I am almost sure it is a laptop issue since this is a shared network (ie university network) and others are using it without problems.

While windows says that there are no problems with the connection, I can browse internet and google without problem, but other pages are either super slow (eg this page) and others simple won't load (eg http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr). I cannot download pdf files, or any installer. Programs like malwarebytes won't run because they cannot download updates. but I can watch youtube when the page decided to load...

I am not sure when this problem appears, but it happens in the last few days, I cannot remember any big changes on my computer, I did a rollback to a previous version using the recovery tool just in case, but it did not solve the problem.

An interesting thing is that I can ssh to a server and download, for example, pdf files from there.

I have tried several options to solve this, I will list some of them now:
I have tried chrome and vivaldi to browse, with pretty much the same results. I have also tried to wget files and it just gets super slow.
I have tried to flush the dns, reset the TCP/IP and the winsock. I am using the google dns now but this doesn't appear to be the problem, as the vizier page, for example, can be resolved by the dns server, but I cannot reach it anyway.
I did try to turn off the firewall and the antivirus (avg) without effect. I reset all the firewall configurations to default, but the problem remains.
I think this should be linked in some way with the ipv4 ipv6 difference, but I do not know a lot about this.

I have googled **a lot**, and haven't been able to found a solution to this, so please excuse me if this is a repeated question in any way. Any help will be highly appreciated, as for now my only leads are, do hard reset or get a new computer :/

DonGrillo

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Well, I guess I was too hasty to ask for help. The problem was on the internet provider, which affected in a different way windows based computers and osx based computers. This is why other computers did work, because they run on mac.

Anyway, sorry for the question, just posting this to let you know that I found the root of the issue.