Installing games on SSD really worth it?

Cykon00

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Hi.

Is it really true that installing games on an SSD eliminates stuttering in some games? Because I've done tests between my SSD(EVO 840) and my HDD(WD Black 3tb) and came to the conclusion that while loadings are indeed faster, it doesn't really help reducing stuttering that much. The games I've tested were Mortal Kombat X(lousy port), Diablo III(which has constant background loadings) and DA Inquisition(long initial load).

Should I just keep installing games on my HDD if I don't mind slighty slower loading times?

No, installing a game (or indeed any application software) on to an SSD will not help with how the game runs, it only reduces the amount of time it takes for the game to load. Once the game has loaded into memory, other resources come in to play (RAM, CPU & GPU) and the SSD plays no further part.

^5 +1 what Phillip said.

It is quite alright to load games onto a hard disk drive. In a typical configuration a 256GB ssd is used as a primary boot drive. The ssd contains the operating system, software applications, utilities, and a few favorite games. A hard disk drive is used to store other data - documents, music, photos, videos, and more games. Some gamers swap games back and forth between the ssd and the hard drive.

I maintain an ssd database listed in a sticky at the top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

For each brand and model there are links to technical reviews. Some of the reviews actually test ssd game play. The results are similar to what you have already discovered.