Benq XL2430T refresh rate

webdivauk

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Hi folks

I'm having trouble getting the fresh rate of my Benq XL2430T monitor to above 60Hz. 60Hz is the only option available to me when using Nvidia control panel. Any thoughts and guidance on what could be preventing me from changing the fresh rate?

Some background info:
I have a MSI 970 G card and a dual monitor setup. My main monitor is a Benq XL2420G which fresh rate I can change to a maximum of 144Hz and it's connected to the g-card via DVi-D dual link. The XL2430T is using a DVi to HDMI cable. I initially tried using HDMI to HDMI however I kept getting a message saying cable not connected when being used on both monitors so I ended up using said cables.

Operating system is Windows 7 64 Home Premium.

TIA

Solution
  • ■Right click on the desktop. Select Screen Resolution.
    ■Make sure the Benq XL2430T is the display that Windows sees on this page. If it is, click on Advanced Settings in the lower right.
    ■On that panel, click the List All Modes button.
    ■That should list all resolutions AND all Hertz settings for you. Pick the one you want.
    ■Now click OK, Apply, OK and OK.
You should now be using the choice you made.

HDMI 1.4 and higher is needed to support 144Hz. I see some sites saying 1.3 and later will work, but I have not seen 1.3 do it yet. I have seen a HDMI chart of each version HDMI has gone though, and it clearly showed all versions since 1.4 support it.

DP has supported 144Hz...
  • ■Right click on the desktop. Select Screen Resolution.
    ■Make sure the Benq XL2430T is the display that Windows sees on this page. If it is, click on Advanced Settings in the lower right.
    ■On that panel, click the List All Modes button.
    ■That should list all resolutions AND all Hertz settings for you. Pick the one you want.
    ■Now click OK, Apply, OK and OK.
You should now be using the choice you made.

HDMI 1.4 and higher is needed to support 144Hz. I see some sites saying 1.3 and later will work, but I have not seen 1.3 do it yet. I have seen a HDMI chart of each version HDMI has gone though, and it clearly showed all versions since 1.4 support it.

DP has supported 144Hz since 2009.

DVI-D is supposed to do it, but I am seeing lots of problems people are having with it.

This might help:
http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/144hz-1080p-which-cable-do-i-need/

This chart was borrowed from Wikipedia.org

nl4ebq.jpg

Solution

webdivauk

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Thank you for getting back to me. I tried what you suggested and the max Hertz at 1920x1080 was still 60. I'm looking into the cables and the article that you mentioned and I'm starting to wonder whether it is a 1.4 HDMI cable.

Will update again asap.

D

HDMI 1.4/a is referring to 120 Hz frame packing. Meaning it can handle 1920x1080 60 Hz x2 for 3D. 120 Hz 2D is not possible using HDMI 1.4/a. HDMI 1.4b does support 1920x1080 at 120 Hz. However, your monitor doesn't support this - but your graphics card does. Your only options to achieve 1920x1080 at 120/144 Hz, is by using DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI-D.

webdivauk

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I checked the cable and it was a DVI-HDMI 1.3 - swapped to a DVI-D to DVI-D and it's working at 144Hz. Thank you all! I went with the DVI-D cable rather than the DP as I want to use that for my XL2420G for the g-sync.

Thank you all for helping me find a solution to problem. It's very much appreciated.
D