Overclocking CPU & GPU Questions

AdolfSchanzer

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I have recently been brought into the world of Overclocking. I'am fairly new to it. And I'm here to ask a few questions to know more of what I'am doing. Please correct me accordingly if I'm overclocking wrong or 'doing something wrong' thank you for reading and or responding to this thread. :)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 750 (1GB GDDR5)
Processor: AMD FX-6350 Six Core Processor (3.90GHz)
Power Supply: Ultra 600WATX Power Supply
Hard Drive: HDD 465GB

I'm fairly new to this. I installed MSI Afterburner for my GPU. I haven't found much help on how to use MSI Afterburner version 4.1.1. (http://gyazo.com/46d1952271c2279e2e67ebd044530546) I do not understand how to use the Core Voltage (mV) so I leave it alone. Power Limit was default at 100% so I leave it alone. And now it comes to Core Clock (MHz) and Memory Clock (MHz). I can only set the Core Clock and Memory Clock below 300MHz or it will restart my Nivida Driver or even Freeze the PC. So I'm questioning on what I should set Core Voltage to for me to increase Core and Memory Clock. I can set the Core Voltage to 12mV and still not be able to push over 300MHz. (Max Core Voltage: 31mV) And if it's set to 300MHz while playing GTA V the game will run for about 4 minutes or so then Nvidia Display Driver will crash and restart. ALL GPU INFORMATION BELOW IS WITHOUT CPU OVERCLOCKING.

Desktop: 35-45 Celsius

[Without OC] Playing Grand Theft Auto 5: 50-70 Celsius

[With OC] Playing Grand Theft Auto 5: 50-70 Celsius

[With OC] Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Ultra with Moderate Tessellation No AA): 20-31 FPS

[Without OC] Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Ultra with Moderate Tessellation No AA): 15-20 FPS

[With OC] Grand Theft Auto V (Ultra Texture and Ultra Reflection): 50-62 FPS

[Without OC] Grand Theft Auto V (Ultra Texture and Ultra Reflection): 40-59 FPS

Now I believe you can get more FPS gain from Overclocking. But I do not fully understand MSI Afterburner. How would I increase the Core Clock and Memory Clock? Do I have to make Core Voltage maxed out? Or is this as far as I can go with Nvidia GTX 750. Please...

I'm fairly new to this. I installed AMD Overdrive for my CPU. I roughly understand it's components but not all. (http://gyazo.com/f205282ba522acb7f0d040f7a5eabfb1) I can reach Core Speed 4700MHz with a voltage CPU VID of 1.4000. But also I noticed people who use AMD Overdrive use the NB VID part, I have just been using the CPU VID. I don't understand how or what you should change the NB VID to. When I use AMD Overdrive all I change is the Core Multiplier, the CPU VID Voltage, and that's it. It's kind of somewhat stable on Core Speed 4700MHz. It freezes my PC sometimes. But I don't know if it's because of NB VID or what.

I've tested the stability in this order: (Default is 3900MHz which uses CPU VID 1.3375)
4000MHz - 1.3375
4100MHz - 1.3375
4200MHz - 1.3375
4300MHz - 1.3375
4400MHz - 1.3375
4500MHz - 1.3625
4600MHz - 1.3750
4700MHz - 1.4000
4800MHz - Unstable with 1.4000

I haven't tried above 1.4000 because once I go above the numbers turn orange like that's bad or something..... (http://gyazo.com/60ae545b9fc37a0f742e86d34d1fd3a7)

I've heard that AMD Overdrive's temperatures are inaccurate but I don't know. Here you go.

Desktop: 34-45 Celsius

[With OC] Stability Testing: 19-25 Celsius

[Without OC] Stability Testing: 19-25 Celsius

[With OC] Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Ultra with Moderate Tessellation No AA): 19-25 Celsius

[Without OC] Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Ultra with Moderate Tessellation No AA): 30-41 Celsius

Well lets say I have used Advanced System Care Performance Monitor and my temperatures are around 116-125 Fahrenheit...
I would like some useful tips, advice, and help with these applications. And more information on my system specifications please. Thank you for your time on reading and or responding greatly appreciated. Also I would like to know if my processor something is 'bottlenecking' I was told or I've noticed something might be... GTA 5 using almost 100% of my CPU not overclocked...

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
GPU) In MSI Afterburner's settings there is a voltage unlock (usually, but some cards don't allow it). Once unlocked, I would recommend pushing the OC until your unstable. Every time you're unstable/black screen/crash you add ~25mV, retest. Keep an eye on temps, as extra voltage heats things up quick. Eventually you'll hit a point where extra voltage won't do anything for stability. At that point I'd drop the OC slightly (like 10-35mhz) and retest for stability.

CPU) I'd recommend using your BIOS for CPU overclocking (just enter your current stable settings from Overdrive). Also, those temps are definitely wrong on the CPU. Download something like HWMonitor for temp monitoring. Keep the max CPU temps in mind: 62C on cores, 75C on socket (shown as TMPIN1 on HWMonitor).

There's no way that CPU will bottleneck that GPU. Now if you decided to put a 980 ti in your PC, then definitely it will bottleneck.