Issue with setting up dual-monitors NVidia GT 520 / Win7

sinkingfast

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I set up dual-monitors on my PC with no issues. I've now gone to do the same on my girlfriend's PC and hit a wall.

She's running an Nvidia GT 520 video card on Windows 7, which I figured would be capable.

Output devices on the back of her PC are:
1xHDMI
2xDVI
1xBlack output I've honestly never seen before.

I have one monitor running out of the HDMI just fine.

The second monitor I've just purchased only has VGA and DVI inputs. When I plug it in it has power but says "No Signal" and I get a message I've not encountered before on her desktop when fiddling around in Control Panel > Appearance > Display > Screen resolution

In trying to select the second monitor it simply says: Display Device on: VGA.

In attempting to remedy this I've rechecked all the connections, hooked the monitor up to my PC to be sure it works (it does), and installed the latest drivers for her Nvidia card. Still not any closer to figuring out why it doesn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time and effort!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Can you use DVI instead of VGA? Some older cards disabled analog video when digital was in use.
Btw, I presume both monitors are plugged into the card, not the motherboard. You did say "Output devices on the back of her PC are: "

sinkingfast

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Sorry.

Her PC only has:
1xHDMI
2xDVI
1xBlack output I've honestly never seen before.

The monitor is hooked up via DVI as her PC itself does not have a VGA port.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You can't use the PC's video when there is a card in the PCIe x16 slot.

sinkingfast

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

Oh dang. Does that mean I'd have to remove her graphics card in order to even use multiple monitors on her PC? Why on my PC am I able to use 2 monitors (1 VGA 1 DVI) if I have a GTX 250 card in it?

Thanks for your help. I've just never run into this issue on what I perceived to be a simple set up in the past...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I can't say for sure about every motherboard/BIOS and how it controls on-board video usage. But most boards will disable integrated video when it sees a gfx card in the PCIe x16 slot. Can't you connect both monitors to the gfx card? What ports does the card have?

sinkingfast

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Thank you so much for all your patience!

I opened up to BIOS and set integrated video to ON. Bam. Worked like a charm.

Again, thank you so freakin' much! She, too, is excited.