Help with backup solution for windows based home network

anhizer

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hi All, I am looking for a better way to backup my various computers on my home network. Currently I am using the following devices at home:

2 desktop PCs
1) Older gaming pc/workstation (Primary Storage)- Win 7 - primarily used for photo editing. approximately 2TB of photos/documents that i would like to backup (im an amateur photographer)
2) Windows Media Center PC - Win 7 - No backups needed on this computer, but its ALWAYS ON and has room for some HDD(s). May consider using this as a file server and using some backup software?

2 Laptops:
1) my laptop (Primary use) -Win 8- This is my newest computer and am using it for most tasks including photography. Has a 1TB onboard HDD so no more than 1TB of backup. Currently has 100GB used which needs to be backed up.
2) my wifes laptop -Win7- This computer is used by my wife for photo editing etc. Has a 1TB HDD. Currently 250GB used (estimate) that needs to be backed up.

2 iphones (one 32gb one 64gb)

Networking is done via an Asus AC68U which supports one usb 3.0 and one usb 2.0. I also have a large gigabit switch with 24 ports. Approximately 10 are currently used to distribute ethernet around the house. Most ports aren't used and are available if needed.

I am currently backing up my primary desktop using crashplan onto a internal 2TB HDD. I feel this is "better than nothing" but not very good. My priority is backing up photos & video (photos represent 95% of my usage). Music, documents etc. also would be nice, but are not my priority. Software, windows files, etc. are my lowest priority.

Ideally i would like a system that auto-backs up constantly OR pulls data multiple times per day. I looked into a cloud storage system (Amazon Photos - free w/ prime) but I have ~2TB to transfer and have a 250GB bandwidth cap. Per comcast, every 50gb over this is a extra $10 (plus it would take FOREVER). I looked into crash plan "seeding" with a 1TB HDD (maximum they offer) but i still would have to upload 1TB of data via the internet.

Right now I think I have the following options:
1) suck it up and do an internet transfer (or seeded transfer with crashplan) and pay the piper (expensive ($250 + 50/yr) but easy, no maintenance on my side)

2) Buy a couple of large backup drives (4TB/ RAID1) and throw it in my media center PC (windows 7, i3 processor w/onboard graphics, Asus MOBO- can lookup specifics if needed). Is there a good software package for this? this would likely be the cheapest option.

3) Buy a commercially available NAS like a Synology, QNAP, WD mybook and use that for storage. This is likely the "plug and play" option. I would probably go with a 4 bay for future expand-ability. I don't plan on doing much if any media streaming so i don't need a very fancy unit.

Budget is a concern, but not the main priority. I don't see spending less $300... but I don't plan on spending a fortune on this either.

Mattios

Honorable
I would go for option 3. Grab a NAS, put the same make/model drives in (WD reds) and use RAID 6 (RAID 5 is dangerous).

I would choose 4x 4 Tb WD Reds - more than enough space for your current needs and the future. Allows for 8 Tb of protected storage. It may seem like a lot but this will last you for a long time.

greenmachine33

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I am also considering improving my backup and sync solution. I have similar needs to you except that 2 years ago I went desktopless. Everything is mobile, with two NAS as storage, and a USB as extra backup. Unfortunately I have every OS possible: Android, iOX, Win8, Win8RT. And Mac laptop is not unlikely in the next 12 months.

I am interested to see the forum's take on a good solution for both backup and sync that is reasonably lightweight, quiet and suitable for home use.

I currently have about 550G of data and my NAS are 2TB to allow for expansion. I am set up for DLNA but rarely use it for various detailed reasons. I use Allway sync set for auto sync every 15 minutes but it has limitations. I have used other sync programs in the past.

greenmachine33

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I'll do that.

My opinion on this question is that maybe you get an external SATA/USB3 stand for a drive attach to media center PC, get two bare 4TB drives. Make 2 copies of everything and keep one drive offsite and every couple months swap the drives. This gives you protection for your long term archive.

The real question is the software to do the backup for the myriad devices, which is also my question. Today I use Allways sync but really it is just Windows focused. If you can share another device as Windows visible drive it will sync but you have to do it manually. I'm looking for new state of the art suggestions. Wikipedia had a good sync software page once.