Do I need to Format my Storage HDD if I clean Install W10 on my SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin7898

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Basically I only use my SSD for windows. When I upgrade from 8.1 to 10 I want to do a clean install, will I also need to format my 2tb HDD

Sorry if this is a stupid question. My HDD has all my games.

Edit: found a solution. ignore this.

Solution
Microsoft announced earlier this week that Windows 10 will be available on July 29. In less than two months, those who are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will be able to upgrade for free to the upcoming operating system, in the first year after launch. Some have already reserved their free upgrade.

The upgrade will be delivered through Windows Update. Microsoft is making the whole process so easy that it claims that even a 10 year-old could do it. After it is done, those who may want -- or need, at least at some point -- to make a clean install will be able to do so as well.

That seems to indicate to me that the information I posted earlier, which comes from a very reliable source, would be accurate.
You need to upgrade first, or you will lose the ability to qualify for the free upgrade. If you clean install the OS before doing the upgrade, you will not be able to activate the product then or in the future with that machine.

IF YOU PLAN TO CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10

YOU CANNOT CLEAN INSTALL INITIALLY OTHERWISE YOU PASS UP YOUR FREE UPGRADE

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 VIA WINDOWS UPDATE OR BEGINNING THE WINDOWS 10 SETUP WITHIN THE WINDOWS 10 DESKTOP. THIS WILL REGISTER YOUR DEVICE AS A WINDOWS 10 DEVICE AND YOU MAY NOW CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10 ON THE DEVICE.

From my extensive testing of the new Microsoft Product Testing introduced into Microsoft Windows 10 Build 10147 I can tell you the following:

•Direct clean installation from Windows 10 Installation Media, skipping product key twice or using the generic key leads to an unactivated product.
•Using the .iso to upgrade from the Windows Desktop will only allow activated versions of Windows to release the license agreement screen. This only allows Activated versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Insider 10130. After the install Windows 10 10147 is activated.
•Once the initial upgrade to Windows 10147 is complete the device is registered to Microsoft.
•Once a device is registered, you may clean install from the .iso by skipping product keys during Windows setup. Windows will activate automatically.
•The product activation is tied to the device. You can reinstall using a different Microsoft Account or Local Account and the device will activate.
•You may change minor hardware such as a SSD/HDD and clean install. I changed from a SSD to HDD for a quick test and Microsoft Product Activation was applied.
•It seems Windows Insiders with Build 10130 will be passed as eligible to reach Windows 10 RTM. Those who look to join the Windows 10 Insider program after the Windows 10130 .isos have been removed will not be able to install and activate Windows 10 Insider 10147 or later and hence will not be able to reach Windows 10 RTM.

Hi,
I see you found a solution (but didn't post) however the truth is THIS:

You SHOULD be able to do a Clean Install with W10 RTM then simply activate using your Windows 8.1 serial provided you have it written down (or on the box if you bought it yourself).

*Microsoft has NOT discussed how clean install will work very will or at all AFAIK. There is however no reason to think the above will not be possible.

THUS, we will have to wait until after July 29th to see how this will work unless an official post exists from MS already or before this date. There is no point using current PREVIEW builds since they obviously don't ask for Activation after installation.

Hi,
I see you found a solution (but didn't post) however the truth is THIS:

You SHOULD be able to do a Clean Install with W10 RTM then simply activate using your Windows 8.1 serial provided you have it written down (or on the box if you bought it yourself).

*Microsoft has NOT discussed how clean install will work very well.

THUS, we will have to wait until after July 29th to see how this will work unless an official post exists from MS already or before this date. There is no point using current PREVIEW builds since they obviously don't ask for Activation after installation.

Other:
I am aware that THIS comment exists from Microsoft:
"Once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time"

That seems to suggest you need to upgrade first but read again... it does not specify you can't do a clean install first only that you can after upgrading...so a lot of people are CONFUSED on this. People have been doing clean installs as UPGRADES prior to this point (I did that for Vista to W8).

*It's also likely that you can "UPGRADE" right from the desktop through the downloaded ISO image but then choose the clean install option which then just keeps your files (and probably a backup IMAGE and/or "OLD" folder so I still prefer wiping the drive if possible).

So this clean install should be identical to formatting your drive first if you then delete the backups (and data files i.e. "Documents" folder).

Microsoft announced earlier this week that Windows 10 will be available on July 29. In less than two months, those who are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will be able to upgrade for free to the upcoming operating system, in the first year after launch. Some have already reserved their free upgrade.

The upgrade will be delivered through Windows Update. Microsoft is making the whole process so easy that it claims that even a 10 year-old could do it. After it is done, those who may want -- or need, at least at some point -- to make a clean install will be able to do so as well.

That seems to indicate to me that the information I posted earlier, which comes from a very reliable source, would be accurate.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.