Is my CPU and GPU temp normal?

dukka

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Back from a very long time being a laptop user. I've built a system with main components as below (for gaming :D)
CPU: Core I3 4160
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R938G1 (R9-380 GPU)
PSU: Corsair CX600W V3
Case: Cooler Master K280

Currently I'm using 3 fans inside the case, one default inflow at the front, one rear inflow and one back outflow, all are 120mm. All the wires are hide into the back of the mainboard. My place's average temperature is around 30 ~ 32*C, no AC on

As checked, my GPU idle temp is around 42*C when turn on the computer, when playing heavy games (witcher 3) it reached max 69*C, idle temp after playing games always stay around 51*C ~ 54*C. My CPU idle temp is around 42*C to 45*C.

I've done some research on the internet, information about my GPU isn't much but same cards such as MSI or ASUS only have idle temp at around 35*C, much lowered than mine. Is my temp normal? Thanks in advance!

Steel_Nugget

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Your CPUs temp is fine, it is within its thermal limits. If it goes to high your PC will shutdown to save it. As for your GPU could you tell us the temp under load? 35C idle seem fine, as my GTX 780 idles slightly higher.

dukka

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Thanks @Steel Nugget, my GPU temp under heavy load never exceed 69*C (one week tracking), however after I quit game and browse the web or just leave the computer doing nothing the idle temp is 52*C

Blaise170

Honorable
If the temps stay high you may need to invest in some better airflow. I couldn't find the max temperature specifications on the R9 300 series but the max for the R9 200 series was 85C. For most cards, 70C and below is perfectly safe.

dukka

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Thanks! I think I will install one outflow fan on the top to see if there's any changes! Could you suggest if the side fan should be inflow or outflow for better airflow?

This is my first built after so many years of using laptop (my last desktop was a Pentium 4 with a 7600GS Nvidia), hence I'd even forgotten to buy and install the fans when i made this PC last week

dukka

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

Yeah I've been gaming heavily for 3 to 4 hours per day for a week now, under load temp never exceed 69 *C. And from what I've checked, my GPU won't kick off its fan until temp reach 50, so I think it's pretty ok.

Just need to find some fan control software to set up profile for my MSI board though!