Do I have to reapply my thermal paste if I took my stock i5 4690 heatsink off for ~15-25 seconds 2 times?

PlayFriik

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Hello.
Do I have to reapply my thermal paste again if I took my stock cooler i5 4690 heatsink off for ~15-25 seconds 2 times?
I did that because the cable didn't reach the CPU fan port.

My processor's current temp on idle is 40-45°C. My room is at ~20-23°C.
On running the temp is ~51°C.

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
You need to reapply thermal paste EVERY time you remove your cooler from your CPU, regardless of how long it was off. Once you remove the cooler, the thermal paste won't properly cover your CPU when you put it back together unless you reapply new paste; this could lead to poor cooling, and even permanent damage to your CPU/motherboard.

Reapply it using the pea method described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

CDdude55

Distinguished
No you don't have to, it doesn't hurt to apply some fresh thermal paste every once in a while but that's to often. 15-25 seconds is nothing, the thermal paste won't dry out by then. I'd only replace thermal paste if i were to take my heatsink off months at a time.

PlayFriik

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Umm, some of you say that I don't have to and one guy said I have to..
Well, I ask then like so - are these temps okay what I wrote down on the first post?