Advice on first custom water cooling build

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Well, I built my first PC almost two years ago and I've been itching to do something completely unnecessary to it. My first thought was buying a Skylake CPU/Mobo with some DDR4 and call it a day. Then I started to read (and watch JayZTwoCents videos) about custom water cooling loops and I thought that would be quite a fun little project. After much internal debate, I think I will venture into custom water cooling first and then think about a CPU/Mobo upgrade in a few months; in any case the performance gains I'd make for gaming would be minimal compared to what I have now. Plus, if I do a loop now and get a new CPU/Mobo in the future it would be as simple as draining the loop, maybe cutting some new tubing, and maybe needing a new CPU block. Additionally, I think I'll go for a side window and build the rig with aesthetics in mind this time; my first build was just aimed at functionality.

Now, to the current build:

4670k OC to 4.2GHz on air
Gigabyte Z87 D3HP
EVGA 770 SC ACX
2x4 GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
120 GB 840 EVO for OS and 1 TB Caviar Blue for general storage
EVGA SuperNova 850 W G2
Corsair 500R case

I love the 500R, but I don't think it will do for this job. I'll get a new case and keep the 500R for a secondary build. Phanteks Enthoo Primo seems like the most revered case for this type of project. I think I'll do the cylindrical reservoir to the pump, bottom radiator, GPU (will likely get a reference 980 Ti SC as new GPU), top radiator, CPU, back to the reservoir. The bottom rad will of course give me a convenient drain port while the top rad will give a convenient bleed port. I see a lot of people leave out the top rad, but in the essence of "going all out" I'd like to include one. The rads will have three fans each in push configuration. I thought about doing push/pull for both but I think I will leave that as a future possible endeavor.

To the purchase list (USD):

Case - Enthoo Primo ($230 Newegg)
Top Rad - Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 420 mm ($92 Alphacool website)
Bottom Rad - Nexxxos Monsta 420 mm ($136 Alphacool website)
Fans - Phantek PH-F140 x4 as the case comes with 2 on bottom/top ($60 Newegg)
CPU Block - XSPC Raystorm Intel Block ($50 Performance PCs)
GPU Block - EK-FC 980 Ti Ni/Acetal ($126 Performance PCs) (will get 770 equivalent if I decide not to get a new GPU)
Fitting - Bitspower G1/4 to 0.5" black sparkle x6 ($75 Performance PCs)
Fitting - Bitspower G1/4 to 0.5" black sparkle 45 degrees x6 ($96 Performance PCs)
Fitting - Bitspower G1/4 to 0.5" black sparkle 90 degrees x6 ($114 Performance PCs)
Tubing - XSPC FLX 0.5" ID, 0.75" OD Blue 2m ($17 Performance PCs)
Reservoir - XSPC Photon 270 tube Blue ($65 Performance PCs)
Pump - Alphacool D5 VPP655 w/ top ($100 Alphacool website)
Fluid/Algaecide - distilled water and PTNuke ($10 Amazon)

GPU - EVGA reference 980 Ti SC (may get SC+ ACX 2.0+ instead, not sure...) ($670)

Going through the list, I think the rads, fans, and cpu block are quite self explanatory. I read EK's directions on mounting the GPU block; it makes sense but I haven't nailed down if these VGA coolers are something that is necessary as well for the GPU.

The fittings are a little confusing; I counted six connections so I'll need 12 fittings at least. The purchase list has a mix of straight, 45, and 90 fittings. I'd like to use a 90 degree swivel on the bottom rad with a plug (which I can't seem to find a 0.5" screw plug to fit the Bitspower 90s above...) for the drain port, as JayZTwoCents does in this video. I'd also like a plug for the top radiator (which I assume it comes with a plug) as a bleed port, which JayZ also does in the video above.

The tubing/res/pump/fluid/algaecide are all things I've seen JayZTwoCents and others use in builds such as this.

I've done a lot of reading (including the sticky for the most part), but I'm almost certain I've missed something important. That's why I turn to you, the experts, for a second opinion on this list and if everything is compatible for what I want to do. This is a just-for-fun project, but I want to make sure it works.

Thank you for reading.

Cheers

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most of that depends on whether the radiators you are getting have multiple ports (as in more than the inlet/outlet), which I am pretty certain they do.

Having a fitting that does all that is a bit overkill - you could just buy a cheap 90 degree plastic barb and a plug and set it up to be a drain port that way. Likewise, you can always Tee off one of your lower lines and just use a plastic T-fitting and simple plug.

Well, There are certainly going to be things you haven't counted on. This has got to be the most ambitious loop I've ever seen for someone who has never done this before. Water cooling the 770 would be wasteful in my opinion. So you should decide now how to proceed.

You've got 2 420 rads with a single pump. First of all, are you certain the case can handle 2 X 420? Remember that you will also have to account for the additional height of the fans. Are you doing push/pull? Also you need to account for the motherboard fitment. Those huge radiators are not going to do you much good if you can't install your ram.

Also, unless you are positive you will be cooling the GPU that is going to be serious overkill. A single 240 rad would be more than sufficient to cool the CPU.

My opinion is you are making this much more complicated that it needs to be, which will lead to alot of frustration. As far as getting your feet wet, this is like jumping from the high board into the deep end the first time you go swimming.

Having a drain near the radiator is not the best. I would place it at the bottom of the res.

I think you should really consider this being your first time the variables you have not thought of. This is quite an investment, and more complex than any loop I've ever built. Its certainly well beyond what I would advise for a beginner.
You've got parts from EK, Alphacool, XSPC, Bitspower. Do you know if all these expensive fittings are going to actually look good together?

I guarantee there are any number of things Jay-z didn't think of. Like you will probably want to drain and clean your loop every 6 months. Building the loop with this in mind will ease frustration. You are going to have leaks. You need to be prepared for this. Some of these parts will likely be incompatible. Buying water cooling stuff from 5 or 6 different vendors will not make for a cohesive loop.

Take a look at some of the kits available. XSPC makes great kits that will get you into water cooling with a minimum of hassle. Also EK and Alphacool do some nice kits as well. If you are insistent on doing dual 420 rads, consider getting dual pumps. Finally if your plans for the future include adding a second GPU, understand that all those pumps and fans add a lot in terms of current draw. So you may want to look at a 1 kW PSU.

Finally, make the loop as simple as possible. A to B to C. Tubes running all over are going to really be detrimental. Try to get fittings from one company for best compatibility and aesthetics. A mix of chrome and matte black will appear jumbled. And GL, this quite an undertaking no matter how easy Jayz says.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2007/08/22/watercooling_101/1

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Radiators are typically very low restriction, so not certain why you'd suggest that a pump couldn't manage 2x 420 rads?

I'm watercooling my GTX 770 - I feel it was a great decision, but of course, I always watercool all my gear.

Pumps only draw around 15 to 30w in power; the recommendation of getting a 1kw PSU is incorrect.

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Initial post updated to change a fitting and hyperlink more parts so I can find them quicker.

As a lurker, I had a feeling you'd be the first to comment. Thanks for posting. I agree; I think I could do the drain system without using an expensive fitting. If you have any other comments I'd appreciate your input.

Of course I'll have overlooked something. That's the fun of it though; I'll be learning something I've never done before. I'm definitely not expecting for this to put itself together without some troubleshooting.

I've seen several builds where the chosen case utilizes 2+ rads in push/pull (I'll only be doing push as indicated in the initial post); I think there will be plenty of room. The motherboard will fit, and I will definitely be cooling the GPU as well.

As far as complexity goes, I agree it's ambitious for a first timer. But don't I only have one rad more than a simple custom loop? Res>pump>rad>GPU>rad>CPU>res. I've only added in the top rad between GPU/CPU; it seems like a simple loop for both CPU and GPU, especially after seeing the 3+ rad builds.

I did change a couple of fittings out from the initial post. I'm not sure what it is; they are all black sparkle, but the pictures indicate different finishes on each fitting and there's no combination (at least on Performance PCs) where all the fittings look the same color. For aesthetics I'm going for all the fittings looking the same as well as the blue accents from the tubing, res LED, CPU block LED, and the case. The GPU/CPU blocks and reservoirs will otherwise be black so I think they'll look ok.

As for compatibility, I did read that getting everything from one company might make for a better loop. I've double checked that everything comes in the standard G1/4", and all of my fittings match my 1/2"x3/4" tubing. I don't see where I'd run into issues there. And yes I wouldn't get into this if I weren't willing to leak test and drain/flush twice a year. I haven't come across a dual pump system yet, and I've seen some loops with 3-4 rads.

In any case thanks for posting (and for that bit-tech link, which I did come across last week). I understand you're trying to convey how hard this can be. I will sleep on it some more and see if I should maybe consider a kit or something to make it simpler.

Cheers

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For the drain; a very basic T-line drain. You don't even need the fill/drain port, you could just cap it with a plug.

fill_system.jpg