1ms tn panel monitor vs 6ms ips panel monitor

TheUltimateNoob123

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
I'm currently torn between the BenQ rhl2455hm which has a 1ms response time but is a tn panel or the AOC i2369vm which has an ips panel which I pave heard has a lot better picture but only has 6ms response time. Which one should I get. It would be primarily used for gaming and I usually play sandbox style games like arms, dayz and rust. And other suggestions which are less than £150/$200 are welcome. :)

Solution
Not even the remaining 5% notice it. Nobody is going to notice it on a 60 Hz panel because it's limit is 16.67 ms. Everything slower is going to create ghosting, this effect known as ghosting hasn't shown itself for years. Not to mention that a cheap display, no matter which panel type it uses (TN or IPS) can have far slower response times than manufacturers listed due to cheaper components inside. This also means that a cheap TN can be slower than a IPS regardless of what response time the manufacturers list... 16.67 ms-- that is when it refreshes, there is no argument to be made. On a 60 Hz display, 5 ms and 1 ms are exactly the same. It's a myth, and too many people spread this wrong information.

There is a reason gamers (hardcore...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well I cant tell you which is better that comes down to personal preference. I would choose the IPS personally, I care more about how the image looks than i care about a measly 5ms, in those games you mentioned the response time isn't too important since they aren't twitch fps shooters like bf4 or cod and to be honest i would prefer an ips panel in those games as well they just look so much better to my eye than a TN panel.

TheUltimateNoob123

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014

Would the AOC monitor be good?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Im no monitor guru but it looks decent, you may want to shop around a bit more and read some reviews their may be something better out there for a similar price. Here is review of the AOC.

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/aoc-i2369v-p18522/test.html

As pointed out by Dunlop0078, reviews state obvious:
"The biggest downfall of the i2369v is its responsiveness ... or lack of. With the average ghosting time measured at 22 ms, there's plenty of motion blur with fast-moving images. This monitor is therefore only really suitable for office computing and tasks that mostly involve static images."

yes, 22ms. yes, it is lot more than advertized 6ms. you know why? pretty much ALL monitor manufacturers report the fastest speed the monitor can do in best case scenarios, not what it really is capable of.

It is of course personal stuff with eye sensetivity and all that and if you would even notice it.

BenQ monitor in question is not perfect either but.. yeah. I don't mind response time so much (as long as it isn't over 17ms for 60Hz monitor meaning there is visible lag there as I mind the motion blur.
http://www.displaylag.com/benq-rl2455hm-professional-gaming-monitor-review/

Not even the remaining 5% notice it. Nobody is going to notice it on a 60 Hz panel because it's limit is 16.67 ms. Everything slower is going to create ghosting, this effect known as ghosting hasn't shown itself for years. Not to mention that a cheap display, no matter which panel type it uses (TN or IPS) can have far slower response times than manufacturers listed due to cheaper components inside. This also means that a cheap TN can be slower than a IPS regardless of what response time the manufacturers list... 16.67 ms-- that is when it refreshes, there is no argument to be made. On a 60 Hz display, 5 ms and 1 ms are exactly the same. It's a myth, and too many people spread this wrong information.

There is a reason gamers (hardcore alike) prefer a higher refresh rate, especially in the competetive scene... Now why is that? Because a higher refresh rate allows for a FASTER response time to actually be USEFUL, thus minimizing and in most cases eliminating this effect. Don't trust anyone that says otherwise. There are no "gaming" monitors either. You could argue that a TN displays poor black levels is being used to market "gaming" monitors, but that's nothing you can't achieve yourself using an IPS... IPS panels today are currently down to 10 ms of input delay, and what about TN? Also 10 ms. Do the manufacturers list this spec anywhere? No, because they know that people think a lower response time is going to give people an advantage over others, because it 'reacts' quicker... Except that's not at all what this spec means.

Make no mistake, buy an IPS monitor.

Solution