Fresh install on SSD as primary and storage HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I currently I have W8.1 which is running on a HDD. For Windows 10, I am upgrading to a SSD for my OS, some programs, etc. Thing is, I want to keep my HDD for a storage drive. It has many pictures, videos, songs, etc that I want to keep. Problem is, it is currently loaded with Windows 8.1 and some programs that I would also put on the SSD. How do I just get rid of Windows from it to make it my storage drive? Do I need to? Should I just get a second HDD entirely and find a way to move my pictures, video, songs, etc to it?

Thanks for reading. Appreciate any help on the matter.

Solution
1. You should ALWAYS have a backup, so a second HDD is recommended
2. According to current info, the Win 10 upgrade will upgrade your current OS, on the current drive. After that, you can do a clean install of Win 10 on whichever drive you choose.
3. After you get whichever OS on the SSD, the recommended thing to to move anything off that to another drive (see #1), and wipe that old OS drive. Then you can move things back and use it for whatever you like.

USAFRet

Titan
1. You should ALWAYS have a backup, so a second HDD is recommended
2. According to current info, the Win 10 upgrade will upgrade your current OS, on the current drive. After that, you can do a clean install of Win 10 on whichever drive you choose.
3. After you get whichever OS on the SSD, the recommended thing to to move anything off that to another drive (see #1), and wipe that old OS drive. Then you can move things back and use it for whatever you like.

Solution
As I understand it for the free upgrade, you have to upgrade your present Windows install. You can't download an ISO and do a clean install the first time. So you'll have to upgrade the Windows install on your HDD for now. Then you can do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD from an ISO.

Do you have an external HDD to backup to? If so, I would back up everything you need, maybe even take an image of you HDD just to be safe. Then unplug it and proceed with a clean install of Windows 10 on your SSD. Once everything is installed on the SSD to your satisfaction (at least the stuff you want installed on it) then shut down and plug the HDD back in. Boot into Windows again (hopefully from you SDD and not your HDD) and go into Disk Management and delete the partition on your HDD. Then remake it and format it. Then you can start moving your backed up data to your HDD.

I have my Windows 8.1 system on a SSD with a HDD as a storage drive. I've moved all my user files (Music, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc) to my HDD. I also installed all my games and STEAM to the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.