Stock Cooler but good case cooling

Stephen Mulkey

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I am planning to get a aftermarket cooler, but right now I have a fx 6300 with a stock cooler, but I have a HAF case with dual 120 fans at the front intake and a 120 at the back and top for exhaust. I want to experiment with a small overclock 3.8 to 4.0 if possible. My room stays around 23C-24C (74F- 75F) and my PC is off the ground and gets good clean air. If you have any advice or resources to help I would appreciate it. I currently have HW Monitor and Prime95 to stress and monitor temperature, but I'm new to OCing and want to do it right. I understand the possibility of damaging my CPU and MOBO, but I didn't spend alot on them and am willing to take the risk if I can learn something. I plan to upgrade the system in the near future anyway. This is the current system minus the 212 EVO which I haven't purchased yet. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s3VrBm

madchemist83

Distinguished
Honestly power supply is not very good and I would wait for the cooler. The other big problem with aftermarket coolers (aside the fact it's plain crappy) is the fact that the air gets blown on to mobo, so right away u have a chance of damaging your mobo. If u willing to destroy 130 bucks worth of equipment cause u don't want to wait for 20 bucks cooler go for it. Raise frequency by 0.1 ghz and test with prime while monitoring temps

Stephen Mulkey

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

Theres nothing wrong with the power supply it's just not overpowered like most peoples. I'm not even pulling 300 watts with this build. I've already overclocked to 4.0 since my original post and even under load for 4 hours the CPU never goes above 60C I mean this isn't a major overclock considering the CPU under turbo settings goes this high on it's own. I'm not seeing any really high MOBO temperatures either. I'm not gonna push it any harder than this until I get a a better cooler and PSU.