Alternative to WiFi Extender/Repeater/Powerline Adapter

lol4291

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
Hi,

im currently using a TP-Link TD-8817 + TP-Link TL-WDR3600. The wifi range doesn't really reach the whole house due to modem placement. The likeliest choice would be to change placement of the modem. But the ideal modem location doesn't have any power source and i dont plan on adding a power source there.

Using a wifi extender or powerline adapter certainly helps, but i dont want clog up any pre-existing power sources. I thought of using access point but i cant seem to find a good.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to get a dual band access point that has POE support?

And if i were to connect a Ethernet cable from my router to said POE Access point, will it able to power up or i need a device that can also transmit power through ethernet?

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
There are LOTS of access points that are POE. Look at the UniFi line by Ubiquiti. Or look at Engenius products. They both have POE dual band APs. You would need a power injector at your router to provide DC power to the access point. They are usually included with the AP, but double check what is included before buying. The other option, if you desire to have multiple APs is to get a switch that will supply POE to all your APs and even IP cameras.

lol4291

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

Thank you. I will certainly check out those products. If there any other good brands do let me know. I guess i forgot to tell this, I am from Malaysia, getting those products here could be hard or expensive, but can always get them from Singapore.

And most dual band poe access point seems to be targeted towards business, is it true or i just am not finding it properly?

Thanks.