Fast startup with dual boot separate drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCnoobwiz

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I've been reading that having fast startup on in windows 8/10 can cause issues with dual booting systems with other operating systems installed like windows 7. I have windows 7 on one ssd and going to have windows 10 on a second. Will i have to disable fast startup in windows 10 or any other type of hibernation settings.

Solution
Fast starting has a lot to do with the UEFI. I don't dual boot and have been using Windows 10 as my main OS since the Insider program started. On my older system with a BIOS and a HDD it gets about 35 seconds to boot. On the new computer with UEFI and that was clean installed with 10162 on an SSD and upgraded to 10120 boots in 6 to 12 seconds.

You may be able to set the BIOS or UEFI to let you use F12 to chose the boot drive. But if you are using UEFI you can't use Fast starting.

Or there will most likely be boot manager software available for Windows 10 soon after it releases.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Fast Starting and Dual booting don't really go with each other. Besides to get Window 10 for free you would need to upgrade from Windows 7. If you want to dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 you would need to purchase a full version of Windows 10.

PCnoobwiz

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

I don't plan on upgrading my windows 7 to windows 10 i'm buying it separately. Just wanna have a little info on the subject.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Fast starting has a lot to do with the UEFI. I don't dual boot and have been using Windows 10 as my main OS since the Insider program started. On my older system with a BIOS and a HDD it gets about 35 seconds to boot. On the new computer with UEFI and that was clean installed with 10162 on an SSD and upgraded to 10120 boots in 6 to 12 seconds.

You may be able to set the BIOS or UEFI to let you use F12 to chose the boot drive. But if you are using UEFI you can't use Fast starting.

Or there will most likely be boot manager software available for Windows 10 soon after it releases.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.